How long does pain last after arthroscopic knee surgery?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had scopes to trim miniscus and cartilege in both knees six weeks ago. I have friends who were back to full activity in a week or two after this (admittedly only one knee). I've been doing PT for five weeks. I'm getting discouraged - and wondering if it will ever stop hurting? I can walk short distances - but have pain 24x7 - so doing my PT stretches is very painful. I'm 70 years old and was a tennis player before this. Did it take a long time for anyone here to recover from this?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I had similar surgery albeit only one knee and was also discouraged by the time it took to recover. I was also fit before the knee problem slowed me down.

It was a good three months before I was able to walk at any speed and I am still not completely pain free - maybe I never will be - but it is a lot better.

Post-surgery, I had a lot of swelling and general lumpiness at the back of the knee. I have an underlying inflammatory condition in ulcerative colitis. The physiotherapist suggested that may have been part of the problem. I also suspect I tried to do too much too soon instead of resting and icing.

I had a check at twelve weeks. The surgeon was happy that my range of motion was good and the grinding. clinking noises has gone.

I have to say that I did have a eureka day when all of a sudden I found myself walking normally instead of limping and I wonder to what extent my posture was adding to the problem.

Hang in there and hope you feel some improvement soon.

• Posted

Thanks! It's so good to hear from someone else who had a slower recovery.

My PT does say I have poor posture - I have had back problems for years - and I am walking and getting down to a seated position in a way to try to take weight off the worse knee... But no other health issues to account for it.

Hoping for a Eureka day!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.