How long does pain take to ease with xarelto for a DVT?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone,

It's been 2 weeks since I've started taking xarelto for a DVT that developed in my calf, and I have yet to receive any kind of ease since the pain started. Is this normal? I thought by now I'd be able to see even the slightest difference but the pain is still severe as ever. Please share your thoughts and experience! Thanks!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I'm not sure as I'm wondering the same thing myself, but with Coumadin. Hopefully someone who has been there can shed a little light on this. Goodness knows it would be helpful for my tremendous anxiety to feel even a tiny improvement 😥

• Posted

Xarelto is an anticoagulant, its prescribed to stop the clot getting worse or others forming, it is not a cure for a clot you already have, you have to wait for the clot to disperse naturally and be absorbed back into your body.  It was two weeks before my leg made any improvement and I had my clot washed out.  There is a condition called post thrombotic syndrome that can occur up to two years after you have a clot, you need to be aware of this, compression stockings are an absolute must to help against post thrombotic syndrome as its quite debilitating. If you are worried, you should perhaps visit your GP. 
  • Posted

hi. i had mine 12mnths ago and still suffering.i have been on xaltro but had to come off as i had very bad side effects.i have been on both apaxiban andits sister rivoroxaban both with side effects. now on warfarin. been told by my doctor at hospital i will be on them for another 12months as it was very severe and they cant find a cause for it.i go to see the nurse next week to see what  exercises and massage i can do. my leg is very swollenas well as ankles.for your pain all you can do is take pain killers .massage your leg with aquase cream twice daily to stop skin stretching and  itching.otherwise speak to your doctor for more advice, and keep going back until they put your mind at rest.KEEP YOUR LEGS ELEVATED AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. and get up and move around every hour.hope this helps .message if i can help anymore.
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with a DVT 3 weeks ago and the pain has eased steadily, though still is not gone. Have you tried compression socks? That really helped me with the pain. So did Tylenol (NOT advil - apparently, that can have bad interaction with xarelto). Good luck to you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.