How long does Paxil take to work?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been on Paxil for 2 months. I feel jet lagged every morning. I take 20 mgs at dinner time. I take .75 mgs of Ativan because I am weaning off of it. When does the dizziness and light headedness end?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

That is just a problematic side effect of Paxil.....dizziness.....it may never go away....also the ativan can cause the same thing so you may be compounding the effect by usage of both drugs.  I took Paxil for 15 years ...on and off.....usually 10 to 20 mg/day.......I am glad I no longer use it.........there's just too many adverse side effects...........I don't think it ever really helped with depression

• Posted

Thanks Jim,

I appreciate the response. I am weaning off the Ativan because Paxil is supposed to help with sleep. Am I taking it at the right time of day, after dinner?

• Posted

Here's  the problem though with paxil.......one of the side effects is insomnia. Yes it seems ironic but it is true.....Paxil is actually a "stimulant" to the brain.....so most will have trouble sleeping on it.  I did ! It has a long half-life of 21 hours ......so taking it a dinnertime is not good.....no wonder you have trouble sleeping......look up all the damaging side effects of this drug. (all SSRI's for that matter ) best of luck in this. ! 

• Posted

I've been on this drug for many years. It doesn't suit everyone, but it definitely helps me. It does help with sleep, as in helping you to feel less anxious. Normally it should be taken in the morning (with food). Ativan is a benzo, which is highly addictive. You will be suffering withdrawal symptoms, no matter how slowly you come off it. I've been there - many years ago! Withdrawal will undoubtedly cause problems with sleep. Stick with the Paxil for now, at least till you've totally come off Ativan. Wishing you luck!

• Posted

Thanks Purpleheather!

I tried 30 mgs in the morning and it made me too drowsy. So the pharmacist said try 20 mgs at dinner time. Yeah the Ativan has been 2 months of weaning from 1 mg to .75. Do you remember how long the side effects of Paxil lasted?

Groove

• Posted

I'm surprised it made you drowsy. Never had that effect on me! Side effects normally wear off within a couple of months. Only ones I had were dry mouth, feeling nauseous (that's why you should take with food) and constipation. You are doing well to come off Ativan. I was benzo addicted for about 3 years. It was so hard to come off, but I did it eventually. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.