How Long Does PT Take To Work For Torn Meniscus?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I posted 2 months ago about having a 3 year old MRI which showed a torn meniscus but no doctor wanted to operate, said PT would work. It did but now it is back. I went to PT but while awaiting new visit authorizations, quit for a few weeks but did it at home, not so diligently. It seemed to be better and after a long walk yesterday, hurts again. I am starting tomorrow again. How long does it usually take to feel improvement? I am feeling so discouraged.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I had torn menisci...both sides.  Required a scoping to fix it.  A few days of elevation and ice...maybe a week at the most.  Done.  If it's torn, I don't think any amount of PT is gonna fix it.

• Posted

Be patient and diligent in your PT at home. It will soon feel better.
  • Posted

Depends on severity. If it's torn bad and getting stuck in the joint, you could have pieces floating around.

• Posted

If it is torn, you will need surgery to fix it. My Mom had it done a few years ago, same day surgery. It takes about 6 weeks to get back to normal, but this also depends on the person, the skill of the surgeon, extent of the tear and of course some physical therapy. A torn meniscus will not repair/heal itself.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.