How long does shingles last???

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had a shingles vaccine about 3 years ago.

On August 10, 2016 I had the first symptom of shingles.  I didn't think about it being shingles since I'd had the vaccine, but it was diagnosed several days later when my doctor said that it was too late to use the anti viral med.

So, it is now October 21, 2016 - 10 weeks and 2 days.  The affected area is smaller so far as 'rash' [lower right rib area] and the pain less [though there is still pain.]  I have read 3-5 weeks.

It is getting old as wearing clothes that touch it hurts!

4 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

When I had Shingles it lasted about 3 months. Sores only lasted about a month but the nerve pain continued. I think every case is different. I hope you feel better soon.
    • Posted

I hate it!! It's been 12 years since I had Shingles and I just got my first case of Zoster

(Shingles with out the rash) same place as before, the side of my face. Still just as painful.

• Posted

Cursing the vaccine after shingles breakout is a misnomer. New protocols are available online about this subject. 

My dr did not issue the vaccine until I changed Drs and I was immediately given the vaccine.

it helps delay the duration and frequency of the breakouts. It has helped but I still get outrageous itching

• Posted

Susan, i had shingles when i was about 9 or 10 years old. In august i had horrific back pain that i thought was just a muscular thing,no rash at this time, i went to the doctors 4 days later as it was still so painfull, when i arrived at the docs a small rash had appeares on my back and he diagnosed shingles, i honestly have never felt pain, or have been as ill as i was in the next 3-4 weeks. The rash spread right halfway round my body and was there for about 3 weeks. I was on co-codamol 30/500 and gabapentin, the pain was still there though not nearly as bad. Last week i realised that it was much better, i now only have nerve pai, the other stuff seems to have almost dissapeared. Hoprfully i am on mthe road to recovery.

On reading posts on this forum, it would seem that i am lucky, some people have this for years, i only pray that that i recover totally.

Everyone seems to be different, cant honestly say why, i just hope that you to recover quickly as it is a terrible virus.

Sorry this post is so long but i know i was happy to read how other people were affected, i also took comfort from some of the more positive posts.

• Posted

If the pain you refer to is nerve pain then you could check with your doctor about Lyrica.  It help block the nerve pain transmitters in the brain. 

See online for more info.

• Posted

Hi there, yea it is nerve pain and i am on gabapentin 600mg 3 times a day, certainly helps but not totally, i am also on co-codamol, 30/500 ., 2 4xdaily but am trying to come off them as i am definitely more spaced out than normal lol. Im not sure which tablets are making me worse and i am still in pain so kinda thinking A the tablets are not helping or B i need more. My gp has suggested i reduce the co-codamol but when i try this the pain gets really bad again. At a stage where i dont know what tobto for best.
  • Posted

My husband saw an acupuncturist who also prescribed herbs right after being diagnosed, he had been taking the antivirals for a few days which didn't seem to be helping with pain or stopping the rash. After his first treatment the pain was reduced by half and he started taking their herbs his pain was totally gone in 2 days and the rash disappeared within 2 weeks. This was so much better than other people I know who have had it I definitely think finding an licensed acupuncture person would help it to resolve quickly

• Posted

Hi katpren, am intersted in acupunture, almost 6 months down the road i stil suffer terribly from nerve pain, came off co-codamol but the dr just increased my gabapentin. I am going back to gp in 2 weeks and will ask him about acupunture, i think i will have to be referred to the pain clinic. When i ask him what else can be done he just always says it will go away eventually. Any information on acupunture for this would be great as i have read it is not always successfull. Thanks,

• Posted

Had shingles in July 2016 still have nerve/back pain on gabapentin 300mg three times a day and solpadol (co-codamol) 3-4times a day to say I have had enough doesn't cover it

• Posted

Stephen, know exactly how you feel. I managed to come off co-codamol but had to have my gabapentin increased. No difference whatsoeve so trying to cut them back down but that seems to be kinda difficult. I had shingles last august and will never unberstand the pain, or how ill i was for about 3 weeks. Feel the doctor doesnt take it serioysly enough. Margaret
    • Posted

So sorry Margaret plz look into the vaccine it can still be given once shingles has appeared. My doc did just that helped the symptoms slow down the duration and length of breakout time and pain . Clinical studies have shown this is a treatment for shingles as well as boosters every few years.
    • Posted

Thanks hope4cure, my monthly vist to the docs is next week and ask him about the vaccine. I have to be more firm as he normally just says just nods his head and say it will govaway. After 6 months its time to get some other treatment. Mx
  • Posted

I was advised not to have the vaccine as I was on a medication that lowered my immune system. At the beginning of August 2017 I felt pins and needles on the right side of my face. I hardly noticed it except when I washed. About 7 days after that I had a pain in my right ear. This increased to excruciating levels. It was like stabbing in my inner ear with a knife and then came in waves. As I was in another country it was difficulty to get someone to help. Eventually I took paracetamol to help with the pain.  I was sick and my face was burning up on that side. The rash didn’t appear until about 5 days later. Fortunately I was due home where I went straight to A&E. There the doctor diagnosed shingles and prescribed an antiviral medication. The pain was still very severe however, the rash didn’t come to much and I still havea few red marks, which are still hot and itchy .  Then the right side of my face dropped and was paralyzed for about 4days. I am now in week 10, I still have the itch and my ear is still very painful and I have deafness for long periods. I did have gabapentin and steroids for a few days however they caused such problems with my digestive system I had to stop the painkillers and just keep going with paracetamol. I was interested that Susan also mentioned the 10weeks. I don’t see this pain going anywhere quickly. Along with all these effects there is also the fatigue. I am fortunate to have good friends who are really helpful but what about those people who perhaps live in remote areas or friends and family live a distance away. Shingles, yes difficult to diagnose till it takes hold, different medications perhaps some not suitable, lasts for......, It seems that shingles is more painful, has more implications than we realize. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.