How long does the 5 metatarsal take to heel?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I broke the 5th metatarsal this Saturday will be 5 weeks ago. The doctor put me in a hard cast on june 28th, 2018. I go back to see him tomorrow what should i be aware of. Should i take a regular shoe with me or not? Will i be able to put weight on it after the appointment tomorrow? No body is telling me anything

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

It's 2 inches for me. Length from heel to it varies depending on person.

In all seriousness, bone healing takes 6 to 12 weeks. If your metatarsal was shattered, then it will take longer obviously. Adults take longer to heal than children, so you might expect to wait for another 3 or 4 weeks. Do not take a regular shoe with you. Ask all the questions you want, even if he seems annoyed. If you don't understand his jargon, ask.

• Posted

take reg shoe with you..you never know what they will do. Bring a shoe with full support ....wider than your regular shoe just in case. x

​Here is to hoping the reg shoe Is in your future x - more than likely that is not the case though......You are probably going to go into a walking boot next

• Posted

You can take a shoe but they will probably X-ray your foot to see your progress and then have you continue with a boot. Six to eight weeks minimum is right before there is healing. I had a bone stimulator but don't really know if that helped. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.