How long does the drowsiness last?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I started taking Mirtazapine last night as part of a trial to see if it works well while taking citalopram at the same time and complements the drug. I literally fell asleep within minuets of taking it and could hardly wake up this morning, I have been ok in the day but was wondering how long this side effectnormally lasts?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I still get tiredness during the day and I'm ten weeks in.
  • Posted

Hi for me the daytime drowsines didn't kick in till day 3 lasted 2 weeks i was going to reduce my dose from 30 mg to my old dose of 22.5 mg i felt that dopped but i didn't need to the daytime drowsines dissapeard...hope this helps goodluck
  • Posted

Hi KAKate - it should reduce over time. I take 30mg at night and it seems to be about right. I also take Venlafaxine in the morning. I only took half dose of Mirtazapine for first 4 days. Mr Quack suggested it, and it was just as well as I had a strange first couple of days where I was hyped up rather than chilled out. I do weigh 200lbs so you may not need 30 mg, but check in with your adviser. Mirt has a bit of a rep for side effects, but I found it was a big help with rampaging panic attacks. The rest of the anti-depressants didn't come close to its level of effectiveness. I have been on it for 3 months now and the main side effect remaining is a little morning drowsiness you mention. I used to be a jack-in-the-box and annoy everyone early in the morning. Now I'm told I'm more like the rest of humanity. Getting good rest is very important for us. Best Wishes, David.
  • Posted

I was taking 15 mg. mirtazapinedaily but was so sleepy during the day that my doctor told me to cut it in half. The past few days I have resumed taking 15 mg. and right now I would love to take a nap. I feel quite relaxed otherwise and sleep well at night. I continue to have a hard time getting out of bed. It was prescribed to me for mild depression and it seems to be effective in that regard. Good wishes from Long Island
  • Posted

Thanks for your comments everyone, very helpful! I'm on 15mg at the moment and should be going up to 30mg after the first two weeks.

Hopefully the drowsiness will wear off slightly but I'll keep going with it as hopefully taking part in this trial will benefit others in the long run.

It's so good to be able to come on here and ask a question and feel "normal", there wouldn't be many people I could ask about experiences with anything to do with medication for depression, such a shame that more money isn't spent on research for anti depressive drugs.

• Posted

Hi, ive been on citalopram for 4 years but 15mg of mirtazapine for 7 weeks now, I still feel bit tired during

the day but nowhere near as drowsy as when I first started taking them. My sleep isn't too great they seem to knock me out but I am always wake at around 4am and find it hard to get back to sleep. My mood has

improved a lot and I am going to keep taking them along with my citalopram. Personally I feel there is more

positives than negatives. I read viewcams post of halving them and I might suggest this to my psychiatric

doctor. Thanks

all the best Kate

Ella

• Posted

Sorry I meant Vickys post to halving them.

Ella

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.