how long does the insomnia last after coming off mirtazapine

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been off it 8 days and I'm not sleeping at all, even with restricting my sleep to 5 hours a night

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi inso...

this is my third attempt to come off mirt, amd each time the insomnia started between 7 and ten days. Right around the week mark after that last pill is  taken is when I started having problems. It's unusual for an AD but not for mirt because I have read other people say the same.

good lick amd keep coming back  the people here are real helpful while getting off mirt

good lick hang in there

• Posted

iv bin of this drug 4wks ad t av sleepin tabs cudnt sleep at all not ad sleepin tabs f 5days now just startin to sleep bout 4 hrs a night last few nites hope this helps
  • Posted

Hi

I have been off mirtazapine for about 3 months now.

I used to leave off taking mirt at night when I had an appointment in the morning because I wasn't totally on the ball when I took the mirt the previous night.

Then I found it very difficult to get to sleep - so rather than being tired in the morning from mirt, I would be tired in the morning from not being able to sleep for half the night.

I don't have that problem now. With taking mirt or probably the other psych drugs I had probably forgotten that one doesn't drop off to sleep like that. You have to lie there thinking of nice things.

Having said that it is probably a good idea to be tired when one beds down. I would suggest not having naps during the day. You might want to look up stuff on "sleep hygiiene".

One thing is probably not to lie for ages in bed if one can't get to sleep. Get up and put something not too stressing on the TV ie not the news.

I hope that this is helpful.

• Posted

I am no doctor, but I would have assumed it would have taken the same amount of time to wear off, as it did to kick in and start working for you. But in this case obviously thats not what happened to you.  Mirtazapine is for anxiety and depression and also treats insomnia, but if you have raging insomnia, you should go on Ambien or Lunesta instead.
    • Posted

I think the question concerns achieving "ordinary" sleep patterns. As I say just coming off one night immediately caused me to have a sleepless night. I had to get used to the idea that I didn't have a sleep aid. I would suggest that most people who are not on a sleeping tablet will not always drop off to sleep immediately.

Another observation is that someone who has MH issues, maybe not working, and who doesn't have an active life will not be very tired when it comes to normal bedtime. This is added to if one has a rest during the day.

Inso, you are not sleeping at all. I assume that you must be getting some sleep. If possible you want to restrict any sleep to nighttime. I know that it is easier said than done.

See maybe sleepfoundation.org/ask-the-expert/sleep-hygiene-insomnia-and-mental-health

• Posted

Hello,

You are having withdrawl symptoms. Whenever you take a med that changes your bodies/brains natural chemistry and come off the med. Your body/brain has to reset sort of speak back to the way it was before you took the med. How long this takes is different for each person. Unfortunately you will have to wait it out as there is no way of knowing how long your body will take to readjust itself. I know it's hard and frustrating. Try to hang in there......it should get better in time.

Michele

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.