How long does the pain last

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've had a sharp stabbing pain in my abdomen since last Sunday lunch time it came on very suddenly and made feel very ill, fever, nausea, the following morning I had a very severe pain which literally took my breath away I phoned the OOHS doctor he suspected appendicitis I had to immediately see a GP after an examination which included internal, urine sample doctor determined it wasn't appendicitis thought it could've of been a tummy bug 😔But suggested given my family history mum had ovarian cancer, I see my own GP ASAP for a follow up. I did see my GP the next day but he also felt it was appendicitis I was immediately sent to hospital for tests after blood, urine,swabs they finally did an ultrasound which show a follicle cyst on my right ovary with wait & see instruction , told to take pain relief and it should resolve itself, it's now Thursday and I'm still getting that sharp stabbing pain not so frequently but it is stopping me in my tracks I really need to get back to work how long does the pain last, does anyone have suggestion on pain relief or an I being a wos I'm normally have s pretty good pain threshold but this is something else I think it's not too bad then it stabs

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I was admitted a couple of months ago for suspected appendicitis but it came up on the ultrasound scan that I had a 12cm dermoid cyst on my.right ovary. I was in a lot of pain from the sunday to the thursday put on codeine and morphine in hospital but had Zapain which is codeine and paracetamol at home which took the edge off. Pain eventually subsided after a couple of weeks but still have twinges everyday. Was sent for MRI scan a few weeks after being admitted which showed my left ovary has a partially torting 10cm dermoid cyst and my right ovary has a 5cm cystadenofibroma on it. Saw Gynae on tuesday and was down for surgery to remove both ovaries and fallopian tubes but because my pain isn't agonising he's leaving my cysts for 6 months unless they flare up again then I havevto got to A&E and he said he will re evaluate the situation. Just want them out as all the symptoms are making me miserable and scared to move incase they rupture! Plus it would be so much easier if I could have my surgery planned as I need to arrange for someone to have my.daughter whereas in an emergency she could be in school and I will be unable to arrange for her to be looked after has her dad lives 200 miles away! So frustrating 😡

• Posted

I had my cyst for 3 years, but no real pain but had to have ultrasounds every 6 months it was 3.5 cm but never got bigger or smaller. I had it removed with the ovary and tube and the tube on other side but kept one ovary.  I did not want to be travelling overseas and have it twist my ovary and have to have emergency operation so thought better to just get rid of it.  
    • Posted

3 years??? Did you ever feel any tenderness in that area? I swear I have one that won't go away but thebdr swears at 1-2cm I shouldn't even feel it so he thinks it's something else. I am so skinny so I wonder if that's what makes mine easier to feel. It's not pain necessarily, jut mild tenderness when I stretch or bend a certain way.

• Posted

Hi DiAnnic,

Sorry to tell you this but im in constant pain due to a dermiod cyst, i think you should demand to go on the waiting list for surgery. If yours is anything like mine its not very nice &surgery is my only option. I have had to change my job to a desk job due to not being able to lift etc. Try a hot water bottle, it might help also get your gp to prescribe you some pain killers. After a while you do learn to live with the pain &find the triggers that make it worse.

Wish you the best of luck & strength for your journey ahead.

Cheryl. X

• Posted

How did you demand for surgery? I have a 6cm dermoid cyst which was confirmed by an ultrasound . I have constant abdominal pain , which are like mild period pains . I was sent for a fast track appointment and had another scan which showed the same plus another smaller cyst on my right ovary which appeared to be dispersing , apparently that is quite common and can come and go with ovulation . I was told that the larger dermoid cysts rarely have symptoms and that the pains I have could be bowel related . 

• Posted

Hi jane,

When you go to your consultant next just tell them you dont want another follow up app in a few months time, just tell them to put you on the waiting list. If it is causing you pain etc they will remove it. The only time they dont is if your having no symptons. Ive been told i had ibs etc for years till i got scanned in november. I now have my pre-op on tuesday. As soon as any cyst is about 5-6 cm they will remove it (maybe quicker the more symptons you have, or where in the uk you live). Hope you get some where next time you see your consultant.

Good luck

Cheryl.💚

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.