How long does these withdrawal symtoms last.

Posted , 6 users are following.

ive been off mirt for about 5weeks now. I'm still getting really bad anxiety attacks and feeling quite under the weather at times. Is there anybody out there that can shed some light on how long these withdrawals last. Cheers! 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sue

I know it's hard and well done for 5 weeks, seriously nobody understands how difficult this drug is to stop.  Can you hang on in there?  You are still riding the storm but if you can get out for a walk everyday, take some magnesium citrate supplements, visit this forum for sharing and support and try to get some sleep.  You haven't said what dosage you were taking and for how long but to be truthful this drug has a bloody awful protracted withdrawal system.  I took 15mg for just less than 6 months and I'm battling after 20 weeks free of  mirtazapine.  Admittedly the symptoms have abated considerably but my issue is still not getting anything like enough sleep.  This drug comes at you in windows and waves so if you can, just ride it through.  It will get better but you have to accept that it will take more time

• Posted

I'm down from 30mg to 7.5mg. Been taking 7.5mg for about 2 weeks now. My main issue is definitely lack of sleep. How my sleep are you getting per night?

• Posted

Hi tim

After stopping for nearly 5 months now, I get 5 hours generally but sometimes more, occasionally 6 and a half.  I know that sounds grim but honestly it will get better.  Initially I would only get between 2 - 4 hours per night and sometimes none at all and this would appear as classic withdrawal as many others on here would experience the same.  It's absolutely dire and I could write the book on crippling insomnia but I'm prepared to plough through this.  I do take a sleeping tablet if I need to but I still believe that is better then succumbing to taking this drug again.  I never had a sleep problem before taking this drug and I believe eventually it will get better.  But you have my absolute  sympathy.

• Posted

My sleep is ranging from 4-6 hours. Dropped to 7.5mg approx 2 weeks ago my sleep's got worse 4-5 hours. I've never suffered with insomnia before so this is all new to me. I'm determined to get off this drug. I guess we have to expect things to be worse before they get better unfortunately.

• Posted

Hi sue, I was on 15mg for 2 yrs. tapered down since June, and off altogether for 3 weeks. Having huge anxiety and insomnia. Was hoping to be over it by now but sounds like I need to accept it may take a while! Good luck.
    • Posted

Feel for you. Two years for me and nearly off.  Some days i feel ok, others awful.  Do you feel youre going mad sometimes? Horrible feeling. Dr given me diazepam to help but now its not really working, did you have anything to help anxiety?
    • Posted

Hi Loubs, I was on 7.5mg for about 3 1/2 years. At the time I thought it was great just to get some sleep but I always felt like I was in a fog. I tried coming off it last November but ended up going back on it in March not realising that I was probably going through withdrawal. I am now going through the same bloody thing again, it’s awful. The anxiety is terrible. I suffer with health anxiety so everything that I’m going through my mind escalates it. Wish it would do one now and just let me have a break. All the best to you with your  withdrawal loubs. Xx
  • Posted

I am almost off this and at 1.88mg.  The withdrawals have still been there throughout the slow titration down.  Anxiety and nausea mainly. I am also using 5mg ag night of diazepam and feeling very anxious needing it in daytime at 2mg.  I would like to ask if anyone else is using it to come off mirtazapine.  Is it normal to wake with weird dreams and take all day to try to feel normal.  Does anyone else feel inner restlessness?  I cant settle to anything.  I can begin to feel a bit normal by evening, then its time for bed and same again next day.  I know from this site how hard this drug is to get off but i think i have something else going on when my head feels so weird every moring. Psych says its anxiety bu feels mormthan that.  He says just take diazepam and tail it offf.  Huh, how easy is that?  Does anyone know if the diazepam at night coukd be causing me the problems too.
    • Posted

I had a bad reaction from diazipam when i took 5mg. Wouldn't recommend taking it for too long because its addictive & cause withdrawals coming off.

• Posted

Too late Tim, been on it two years and cant get off. Need to get down from 7mg to nil, told to take it slowly. Wish dr never gave me it - spent all y life without any of these drugs then wasnt really knowledgeable about them or i would have said no. My life is not normal and i need to get off them.
    • Posted

Sorry to hear that Ann, in my experience doctors aren't much use tbh. So you've been on 7mg Diazipam for 2 years? Maybe ask how others have managed to come off Diazipam?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.