How long does this last?

Posted , 1 user is following.

After 8 weeks of no positive affects from 60mg of Cymbalta my Dr (psych) decided to put me back on 10mg of Escitalopram.  It was a straight swop and the first 2 days were not bad and then the hell began. Now 7 days later i am off work (2 days so far) and have chills, mentally foginess, extreme tiredness and am unable to drive safely. Anyone any idea how long this lasts?  I have warned work i most likely will not be in tomorrow but i know this wont go down well.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I am sorry you are going through this. First, do not go back to that doctor. You should be weaned off those types of medicines and then weaned on to the new medicine. It is a long process so some doctors take the risk of swapping straight over. I started with a quarter tablet for 2 weeks then half for a long time as it seemed to help. then went to a full 10mg after a couple years. I am sensitive to medicine. The esitrolopram is the only one that worked for me. I have OCD. It will probably take another week or 2 to adjust.
  • Posted

The doctor who did this straight swop was in fact a Consultant Psychiatrist who I had been sent to by my GP for med advice.  I am trying to get out of the house and carry on normally but have chills and feel pretty slow and a bit of a space cadet. 
    • Posted

You are doing the right thing just taking it easy but doing daily activities. Hopefully it wont take long to get back to yourself. Do you trust all doctors on the basis of their degree? I'm not as trusting. There are many well educated doctors who have had good intentions and harmed or killed patients. Know yourself, so that you want be pushed into doing something dangerous.
  • Posted

On the contrary Beenthere I don't have a lot of faith sadly in the Psychiatric side of medicine at all.  GPs it seems to me  know too little about psychy meds, side effects and most of them really in the nicest possible way don't want to know as to treat us requires time and in many cases changes in meds before symptoms are relieved.  I have found that all of the doctors I have seen have a lack of understanding about withdrawal symptoms with these drugs and all and I mean deny any possibility of weight gain

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.