How long does TKR last?

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi everyone.

I had TKR 5 weeks ago after needing one for probably 6 or 7 years with bone on bone osteoarthritis.  I went through arthroscopic surgeries, injections, acupuncture - they seemed to throw everything at me to delay it "because of your age" (I'm 49 now).

Different health professionals have told me different things over the years - at my age I could wear it out in 10 years because I will do more on it than someone older, they will only do 3 in my lifetime which means later in life I could be in a wheelchair, have bones fused or even amputation!

I am resigned to having to have to have another one at some point in the future, but my question is - any ideas or experiences to how long a TKR will last in a younger patient?

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

i dont think after having bi lateral at 55 .if i had to think about future tkr  ,  i would go mad look at it this way the advance in surgery hopefully by the time you need another tkr the  life of them might be 20yrs or more .dont go driving yourself crazy worrying about it as consultants tell you worst senara in case you sue after 
  • Posted

Hi Susan I had a TKR this year. Im 57 and was told by my Cons 10 - 12 years ????
  • Posted

Hi Susan. I had my right TKR last August.  I too suffered for about 10 years as they wanted to wait till I was older. I am54 now and I think I need the other one done. I have been told that the replacement should last about 15 years.  However, my local hospital has been using a different metal - titanium I think but I could be wrong.  My physio told me that they expect it to last for about 25 to 30 years!!! As they have only been using it for 10 years we have yet to see!! When I asked for this one last August though, the consultant denied knowledge of it!!!  I hope it all goes well for you and you have a good recovery.  On a side note, if we can extend the life of the replacement by taking things easy and resting more hey ho I'm all for it lol. Xxx
  • Posted

Hopefully technology will increase the life of the appliance and the wear and tear on the joint. I am having my 3rd one installed this Thursday. However; due to staph infection, I only got 2 years on the second one. The idea of the younger you are the more wear and tear, so maybe a little modification of life style can add time. Medical advancements have made such a difference in our life set as it is. In my youth a torn ligament ended your athletic career. Today, surgery and a year rehab and they are back competing professionally. You have to do what needs been done today and have faith in tomorrow being better. This will be my 11th surgery on this leg and I have faith that with a lot of effort on my part it will be the last. BTW, I'm 78 and still fighting the battle
    • Posted

78 and still fighting - you put us all to shame!

Good luck for Thursday! 

• Posted

You are so wonderful on tnis forum.   Keep us going.  Well one
    • Posted

Ofg you are truly an inspiration. I have followed many of your posts and not only are you a mine of knowledge you keep us going with your never say die attitude.  I don't know if I'd be as positive as you are if I had to go through what you have had to endure. Thank you for making me feel like I can get through this horrible but necessary op. Xx
    • Posted

Sure you can and will. It does sound oppressive when Dr's start discussing options or lack thereof. Unfortunately, I wasn't blessed with site like this and had to flounder through the learning process. As luck would have it, I was assigned to a young physical therapist with a doctorate and who had also been a university athlete. We bonded immediately and he has been with me through all of my rehabs and will be again. He has been the type of guy that won't let me quit. I think if I had gone to once o f those young cute things I would have tried con my way through and done everything I could to beat the system but with Brian their wasn't a chance. Its all about attitude and fortitude. Many times self pity became an issue but the next time at therapy that was out the window and I was on to other things. A sense of humor is very important. We don't talk about that much on here but you really can't cry from physical or emotional pain while laughing. Like every one, I have my moments but try to make them brief and worthwhile. If I'm going to feel sorry for myself and be angry I let go and get it out of my system, then go on. Everyone has their own way of coping. Sometimes you just have to find base to work from and live your life.
    • Posted

As I said - inspirational!  Many thanks again for your wise words.  I will try really hard to not dwell on the things that don't go they way I want and just try to move forward with the things that go right.  All the very best for Thursday. I will be thinking of you and praying that this is the one that works for you with no problems.  Xx
    • Posted

I have renamed you not old fat guy but old wise guy and wish you all the luck that you deserve this time. Everyone on here is routing for you so hurry back and let us know how it goes x
    • Posted

Thank you....hope to be alert and moving by Friday. If not by Saturday, I'm probably in trouble.......with a nurse😍
    • Posted

Best wishes for a great recovery. We will all be thinking of you.
    • Posted

Morning OFG just wanted to wish you well for Thursday!!!! keep us updated!!!!! Good luck x x x
  • Posted

Susan, I totally see your point but it's no good worrying about something that may or may not happen.  What annoys me is doctors saying they can't/wont do surgery because of age.  I've waited 11 years for my op - at 45 I too was considered "too young" but my argument has always been that where is your quality of life whilst waiting for the op.  You will have perhaps seen from my previous posts on this forum that for those 11 years I wore a knee support which basically allowed me to live an everyday life, but has done me no good in the long run as my muscles surrounding my knee have now forgotten what to do.  I had a new plastic knee cap and metal trochlea (the bit behind it that it slides across) 13 weeks ago and am only just able to walk about my house without the aid of my stick, and my confidence to walk outside without it is shot!.  I'm hoping at some point that it will all settle down, but I wouldn't let a doctor tell me again that I'm too young.  If I'd been in an accident all those years ago and the only way of saving my knee had been to give me a partial or total knee replacement then they would have given me one.  Where's the difference?  You need to be able to live your life when you have the energy to do it - I'm only 56 now but I certainly dont have the energy I had 11 years ago.  Maybe that's because the pain from the last 11 years has worn me down.

My advice now is to take it easy, take time to recover and then hopefully you'll be free from pain and looking forward to enjoying life. Don't look back, you can't alter that, look forward.........and choose what you wish!

• Posted

your certainly right pam i was told by one surgeon that the youngest patient he put a hip into was 29 andit was a result of an accident to give him quality of life they just dont want to do revisions simple as !!!!   i agree energy levels in mid to late 50s are flagging abit  pain and no sleep dont help 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.