How Long Does Tonsillitis Last?

Posted , 139 users are following.

Hi. I'm 32 and currently going through an horrendous dose of tonsillitis. What started out on Monday as general aches and pains was followed by fever/shivers Mon night into Tue. WED saw some improvement ache wise but then the sore throat started. It's now Fri and I've got horrendous ulcers covering both tonsils, some 3 or 4mm across and it sure is painful.

I believe I've got everything I can from antibiotics (amoxicillin) to throat lozenges and mouth wash (difflam and difflam spray). However the unknown progression is worrying as I keep reading some improvement should be visible in 5 days after onset yet some day it can last up to 2 weeks!

A horrid week and a horrible illness. Any info/stories/comments would be appreciated.

5 likes, 206 replies

206 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi guys and girls well im the samehere with tonisil pain. its my third day going with pain the fever has gone thank god but still running to toilte with anitibiodics its the first time evr it has happen to me this tonisil pain i just came on after 2 hours durning my sleep. OMG it was sooo bad the parcetamal was only working for 4 hours only then the pain came bk on and i went straight to A&E they gave me antibiodics im getting better but them tablets they gave me it made my tummy really upset and got me worried so i went gp today she me some other antibiodics that ok but still going toilte.No matter what pain you got in your body its not good it just stops you doing stuff.
  • Posted

Hi guys,

Currently suffering with the worst case of tonsilitis I have ever had - funnily enough my doc actually referred me to this website :P

I get tonsilitis generally 2 - 3 times a year, I keep begging my doc to take my tonsils out but they have always said that I need to basically have 6 severe cases in a year before they will consider it sad

I was not offered antibiotics because the doc said that - being bacterial - the body is able to deal with it on its on, and 'apparently' they have found that if you take the antibiotics, you will only get better around 24 hours sooner then if you hadn't - and the more antibiotics you take, the less effective they are - so they try and keep it to more drastic infections I think.

This time I have been hacking up blood (which is not fun) apparently sometimes blood vessels can come to close to the surface do to all the swelling and burst, causing you to bleed - which is horrible sad

This has completely knocked me out - been off work 3 days already and can barely talk - previous bouts of tonisilits have seen me off for 2 days max, but I can see I will be off even longer with this lot sad

Take care all!

• Posted

That's crazy I'm 33 and I never had tonsillits this my first time and it started like 2 weeks ago I started with an upper repository infections which they give me martin then went back to re because it hurt ed when I swallow or eat then they told me that I have tonsillits and that my tonsils might have to come out they gave me clindanycin, prednisone and lidocaine and I have a doctor apt with the ent on the 27th so what I'm trying to say is that I'm surprise they didn't give you anything
  • Posted

I 100% feel your pain.

Started having trouble swallowing 2 weeks ago (I thought it was just a cold, as I usually start with a sore throat), but some little ulcers appeared so went to the doctor, who had a quick look and basially said 'tonsillitis - painkillers and strepsils as it is probably viral'.

So, took alternating paracetemol and ibuprofen every two hours, strepsils and drinks through a straw. I was only off work for two days, and felt fine but then...

Monday rolled around and i was absolute agony. I literally cried when I swallowed, can barely eat or drink. Have been to the doctors twice since this bout started - this time I've got non-penicilin anti-biotics and some codeine based pain kilers, as the para/ibu combination are doing aboslutely nothing. It's just one tonsil but it is ridiculously swollen. Like some others spitting in a cup, barely managed a cup of water today even WITH the codeine. My gland is so swollen that its causing intense earache and my whole throat to hurt from the outside. Also seem to hav so much phlegm/spit that won;t go away. 5 days now and it's really getting me down.

Have since been searching the web for ANY cures - tried good ol' fashioned salt water gargle (not bad), cider vinegar gargle (disgusting and burns) - best one so far is a drink with warm ater, lime juice, honey and salt. if you can swallow it.

Although it is horrendous, it's really made me feel better to see some other people in the same boat, who are obviously at the same level of pain and suffering as me.

I really hope my immune system kicks in soon - i cannot understand why the initial bout appeared to be gone for 4 days and then came back with avengance - anyone else found this? I don't think i can make it to two weeks of this!

• Posted

I started out with ulsers on the roof of my mouth which I thought was interesting then they went away and I thought nothing of it. A week later I started getting a sore throat and a few ulsers on my tonsils and I also noticed a large amount of plaque like substance on my tongue. I originally thought I had thrush but after a visit to the doctor and a negative test result for strep it was confirmed I had tonsillitis. I am still suffering from it and going to the doctor again today to hopefully get antibiotics... Only time will tell how long I have to go through this... And on my 17th birthday also sad
    • Posted

Totally resurrecting an old thread I know, but what you described is exactly my symptoms right now and the pain is driving me mad!! I'm at work just now (a job where I need to talk a lot) to make things worse and I'm considering packing it in for the day and going back to the doctor tomorrow to see if they give me any antibiotics!!
    • Posted

I know what you mean: it is comforting to know we aren't alone! I am so glad I found this thread! Almost 2 MONTHS ago I thought I had bad seasonal allergies, but it soon became apparent that I had a sinus infection. I had family coming to visit from out of town, so I immediately got on an unprescribed antibiotic. I took it until it was gone, which was 7 days. It didn't seem to help much, but after a week or 2 of extreme symptoms I started to improve, but the symptoms never completely left. Then a rash appeared from head to toe and I thought I must've eaten something I'm allergic to. But then it was followed by a fever, chills, and my whole body ached. My throat hurt worse than ever and I could taste blood when I'd cough. I have no health insurance, so that makes things difficult. As I was up in pain about a week ago, feeling like I was going to die, I believe Divine inspiration told me I had tonsillitis. I wasn't even sure if that was a real word. So I Googled it and sure enough, there were all of my symptoms. I started to gargle warm salt water, take ibuprofen, use essential oils and humidifiers, and suck on lozenges, but I only seem to be getting worse. My ears are also killing me. I found this thread because I was worried that my throat is so swollen that it would cut off my air. I didn't want to spend all the money at the ER, so I Googled how long it was okay to go without swallowing. Now I feel better reading this thread, like I will be okay to wait until I can get to a clinic in the morning. I also have an appointment with a chiropractor tomorrow, which should help build my immune system. Again, I'm so glad I found this thread and hope everyone else finds the relief they need! God bless!
    • Posted

I feel your pain so much right now. I'm on day 6 (now that it's mid night) and since my infection is viral, I haven't used any antibiotics and it feels like this hell is never going to end.

On day 1, I woke up and spit out blood, then I noticed that one of my ulcers had opened up and bleed. I used salt and water which closed it up quick, but since then I've had a lingering pain in my right ear because that's the side where my ulcer bleed.

I also developed a dry cough which makes things worse because it's painful to cough and it happens randomly.

I keep taking Advil for the pain but I'm just depressed at this point because I haven't left my house in 6 days because I've felt terrible.

Reading this online blog weirdly makes me feel a little better because I feel like there are people who are sympathetic about this pain.

How long dose this linger on?

Did your ear pain go away or need to get treated?

• Posted

Hi can you please tell me if you are better now ? And how long did it take to feel better? This is my first time with this I am on day 6 and it is not getting better

Thank youn

• Posted

hi! I'm only 14 and I'm suffering....could you please tell me how long it lasted? I'm on day 3 and the pain is unbearable I have to keep spitting into a tissue because swallowing is so painful, I can't open my mouth because I have some sort of lock jaw and so I can't eat anything, I'm going to the doctors today but I just wanted some information on how long we have to suffer!

thank you for taking time to read this

Megan xx

• Posted

Hello all. When searching my syptoms on the internet I came across this discussion which is very much helping me in this terrible week of pain.  It started almost 2 weeks ago with a my glands being sore and feel under the weather.  I worked all week and by the Friday evening I was wiped out and the pain in my throat getting worse.  

Saturday was when the pain really kicked in and I saw the ulcers on my tonsils for the first time.  I was feverish and bed ridden for four days and since then been bed ridden still with the pain from the ulcers all over my throat and now tongue.  Is this still tonsilitus?

i have been to the doctor twice now and been given penicillin which I do not think has touched me and now some stronger ibuprofen.  I am gargling with a benzydamine mouth wash prescribed by doctor and have a throat spray.  

I pray every night I wake up with some relief but I am day 8 in pain and no sign as yet.  I have never had tonsilitus like this even as a child.  I am 34 and suffering so badly.  It is not nice what any of you have had or are going through but you have given me some hope that it will go, right now it does not feel like it.  Any more advice on this matter is much appreciated.  Get better soon everyone reading this.

• Posted

Poor you sad 

If you have ulcers on your tongue I'd go back to the doctors just to be sure - you don't want to get a quinsy (abscess) as this can cause real problems.

I'm just starting to come through it after 7 day...horrible. I don't know if this will work for anyone else, but yesterday I accidentally swallowed some of my salt gargle and it went down fine..so I made a weak warm salt water solution, swished it around my mouth and swallowed. Must be a combination of the warmth/salt but it went down okay! Did my best with the rest of the cup and it seems to have made a huge difference. I guess swallowing it makes the salt actually go over and cover your whole tonsil? 

Hope everyone feels better soon.

• Posted

The salt water definitely helped thank you for the tip Beth and swallowing it was not to bad actually.  I am on day ten of the ulcers today and this is the first day swallowing is not as painful as it has been...there is light at the end of this horrible tunnel! Take care all and get well soon 👷😀
    • Posted

I know what you mean: it is comforting to know we aren't alone! I am so glad I found this thread! Almost 2 MONTHS ago I thought I had bad seasonal allergies, but it soon became apparent that I had a sinus infection. I had family coming to visit from out of town, so I immediately got on an unprescribed antibiotic. I took it until it was gone, which was 7 days. It didn't seem to help much, but after a week or 2 of extreme symptoms I started to improve, but the symptoms never completely left. Then a rash appeared from head to toe and I thought I must've eaten something I'm allergic to. But then it was followed by a fever, chills, and my whole body ached. My throat hurt worse than ever and I could taste blood when I'd cough. I have no health insurance, so that makes things difficult. As I was up in pain about a week ago, feeling like I was going to die, I believe Divine inspiration told me I had tonsillitis. I wasn't even sure if that was a real word. So I Googled it and sure enough, there were all of my symptoms. I started to gargle warm salt water, take ibuprofen, use essential oils and humidifiers, and suck on lozenges, but I only seem to be getting worse. My ears are also killing me. I found this thread because I was worried that my throat is so swollen that it would cut off my air. I didn't want to spend all the money at the ER, so I Googled how long it was okay to go without swallowing. Now I feel better reading this thread, like I will be okay to wait until I can get to a clinic in the morning. I also have an appointment with a chiropractor tomorrow, which should help build my immune system. Again, I'm so glad I found this thread and hope everyone else finds the relief they need! God bless!
    • Posted

Hi Steph, did you ever figure out anything here?  I am having the same symptoms and am getting a little concerned.  I don't have insurance and have been to the doctor twice followed by antibiotics both times with little to no effect.

Hope you found relief and could share.

Thanks,  

​Todd

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.