How Long Does Withdraw Insomnia Last? Please Help.

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was on 50mg of Toprol XL for over a year.  After working to lose 40 pounds, my heart rate became very slow and the doctor recommended cutting to 25, which I did in June.  Since then I've had constant insomnia with waking at night after 4 hours of sleep.  I did have it occasionally before, but nothing like it is now on a nightly basis.  

I know my body has to get use to not suppressing hormones, which is why I assume it is happening, and this is a known rebound effect.  I just don't know what I'm in for as far as when I can get normal sleep. I'm almost in tears every day wondering when it will get better.

?My doctor has advised me to cut back to 12.5 and then stop all together, but I'm quite afraid.  Can anyone please help share their experience?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Angela, I'm not familiar with the use of beta blockers to help lose weight?

Yes, getting off a beta blocker takes some time, and your body gets a little confused.

I think the further reduction and elimination sounds like a good plan, beta blockers are famous for sleep disturbances, including crazy dreams.

I've taken a very small dose of another beta blocker and been able to drop it without too much trouble, so if you can get your dosage down, the final step should not be so bad.

But then, I've had some sleep disturbances for many years, long before I ever took beta blockers.  So I'm not the least upset at waking after a few hours, even watching an hour of late-night tv, before going back to sleep.

• Posted

Hi jx41870,

?Sorry to be confusing. I wasn't using beta blockers to lose weight - I did so the old fashioned way and because I lost so much my heart rate was constantly in the 50s and exercising was becoming difficult.  Thank you for your advice.  I do plan to take it very slow, regardless of what my dr said.  He recommended only weaning for a few days then going cold turkey!  Good to have forums like this one to hear stories and make my own decisions.  Still fighting the crazy night wakening, but am confident it will eventually resolve.    I've never had any sleeping problems before this and I feel slightly crazy.  Trying to keep activities of daily living normal while I exist in such a sleep deprived mode is very hard.  My poor husband has to sleep in a different room now until I get back to a normal cycle.  Thank you for responding to my message. smile

• Posted

Hi Angela, just a general comment, if you find you can't sleep - get up out of bed and find a quiet thing to do or watch or whatever in another room.  After 30 minutes or so, then try getting back in bed.  You want your body to associate bed with sleep, if you lie there too long awake it doesn't help!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.