How long does your first outbreak of herpes last?

Posted , 168 users are following.

I just got told i have herpes yesterday i have had symptoms since monday eve and even ended up in hospital been told i have a really bad urine infection. I feel so disgusting that i have this and just dont know what to think at the moment, i feel so stupid that i caught this. The worst thing is i am in so much pain and have been for about 5 days i have anti bs from the doctor i only got yesterday and i am no better at the mo it stings so much everything is so uncomfy i have tried salt baths..a gel that the doc gave that numbs down there when you wee and nothing is helping please tell me this doesnt last long.

9 likes, 226 replies

226 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

When i was diagnosed i was currently experiencing an outbreak. Once i got on the antiviral it started to clear up in two days. Best advice I can give you from my own personal experience is to take the medication, use soaps that are no sensitive, keep the area as dry as u can, and this may sound odd, but when your in pain, freeze a washcloth and when you need it run the frozen cloth under cold water and place it on the inffected area. My first outbreak lasted 10 days. I was diagnosed in March and after i compleded my perscrition of antivirals I was fine. I have yet to experience another outbreak.
    • Posted

Hi Eliza I know this post is 4 years old!!! But I was wondering since then have you had any outbreaks!? I got diagnosed afew weeks ago with genital HSV1 and I'm so upset. Iv only had the one OB and I'm wondering how often it will come back. 

• Posted

The ice wrapped in a cloth helps so much!! Thank you everyone for your story.. It has helped me so much.. I just found out today!! I've been crying off and on all day!! freaked out that my life is over.. I pray this is the one and only outbreak I have!! This sucks so much.. I've have taken ownership and it will definetly change my life forever.. I'm trying to change my thought process and turn this into a postive experience.. There has to be a reason we are all going through this ... hugs AOD
    • Posted

Hi, i came across your post while googling everything under the sun about GH since i was diagnosed this monday. Once i started my medicine i didnt start to feel better until today honestly (thursday)..today is march 5 and i had my.initial symptoms 2 days aftwr having sex With my partner. My dr says it was a.primary infection. ive never ever had any symptoms before but im not sure my.partner believes me. It was incredibly painful like i couldnt sit down or bend down! I found that gold bond medicated powder really helped. It does tingle and feels like its burning but its not. Its just cooling things down. i wish i had started using that when i first started getting itchy! My dr gave me 1200mgs.of valtrex i have to finish the whole bottle. Just wanted to tell you, your not alone. Its very uncomfortable, but you will be ok !
    • Posted

omg so after being told by a walk in clinic doctor i had herpes i cried and was freaked out for four days went to my gyn. who had said it was warts from hpv prior to walk in clinic a few days later . i told him what they said he was in shock. what had happened was i had applied tea tree oil on cotton balls down there the oil was so strong i blistered myself. i was mis diagnosed twice from two different doctors at this clinic im so mad i actually want to sue them!!
    • Posted

I totally agree with you , I haven't got a diagnosis but it's pretty evident I do have it I've had the virus out real for 5 das now , mi trying to look at it as something positive , maybe changing my habits and the way I live life , it may even encourage me to live healthier so it's not completely bad ! We could even not have more outbreaks at all , or just a few ,only God knows for sure but let's hope for the best smile
    • Posted

Oh I had used tee tree oil on what I figured was a very Large cyst on my labia that I had for a week. I went to urgent care but the dr was in a big rush and just told me that I had a cyst. I hadn't seen any blisters but I noticed scabs a few days later and was told by another dr that I probably had herpes. I haven't gotten my test results back but I was wondering if maybe the scabs where from the tee tree oil. I was very itchy though so right now I'm assuming that I for sure have GH. I'd rather come to terms with it now then wait around hoping and wondering. I hadn't told my Dr that I used tee tree oil but I wonder if that would have made her rethink her diagnosis. I can see how any Dr seeing scabs on that area would misdiagnose it.
    • Posted

In my experience getting now instead of when it gets worse is the best thing to i just got it not too long ago I'm trying to stay as calm as possible but the more I think about it the more I cry and freak out I got it from my boyfriend which is also my child's father and I'm freaking out not for me but for my daughters but get tested please for your sanity

• Posted

May I ask why you're worried for your daughters? That they may have gotten it through your birthing them?

• Posted

No I know my oldest daughter doesn't have but I'm pregnant currently I'm scared that when it's time to deliver that she might come out with herpes and that is the scariest thing on my mind right now with this outbreak I can barely sleep I'm in so much pain I can barely walk or sit down since I got it I'm just scared and reading these I see some are living happy lives and me I'm just scared my daughter loves to sleep in the bed with me and since all of this she just feels like I'm pushing her away I have a appointment to see how my daughter that isn't here doing because that scared me and hopefully start medication to get back to the life of working to make it for my daughters I'm just scared for the baby that isn't here yet

• Posted

Right, even with all the info saying how unlikely it is to pass on through birth and how many precautions can be taken, I'm sure I'd be going crazy as you are too. I see you have an appointment coming up. Have you already spoken with a dr about all the birthing precautions that can be taken and that if you deliver during OB, a cesarean can 100% prevent infection? I hope your next appointment can put your mind at ease some. I only know what I've read, I have been told direct from a Dr nothing about HSV and pregnancy.

I understand too your concern of cuddling with your older daughter, but when clothed, there is no risk of infecting your daughter. If it's that you mean cuddling is uncomfortable and painful... I'm so sorry to hear that. Maybe until the OB is over you can find a new way to cuddle and bond with your daughter. Best wishes and health to you and your family.

• Posted

I'm having a c-section regardless but I truly thank you so much I hope my doctor will ease my mind for awhile because I need something to get the pain to stop for awhile when it comes back I'll know exactly what to do my main concern is my daughter and my health and trying to get through this now

• Posted

I've read Orajel works good. Apply topically to the sores.

• Posted

Hello, so like a week ago I got cold sores in my mouth. I had fever and they came out. I would put my hand in my mouth so I could brush my teeth so it won't hurt. During that time I started my period. It was really uncomfortable because all of a sudden I got really itchy in my vagina. So I would stratch my self. The day bfore yesterday I told my husband to check how it looked. He said it was just swollen. But yesterday when I woke up I could walk anymore. It hurt so damn much. I decided to go to the hospital. They checked me and everything and the doctor said I had GH. But what I don't understand is that if the doctor was sure about it why did they have to do a swab and wait for results. When they were checking me omg I thought I was gonna die. They gave me medication for a week and so far I'm doing okay. But what I think happened was that since I had those cold sores in my mouth then I started scratching down there. So maybe I was the one that took the wires to the vagina myself. At home my mom boiled a herb called Ruda I think. And bout a soap she said to sit on the water and just stay there and clean myself with the yellow soap I tried it last night it I think it helps. So you see your not a lone I felt the same way but I know its not just me. There's many others that have this problem as well so keep your head up like I'm doing.

Andreasmile

• Posted

Hello everyone, I came across this post today and it has made me a little better. I'm going thru a lot right now, I had a pregnancy and as I was doing the abortion process, I was diagnosed with GH. The abortion was the best thing I did do to the fact that this was going to affect my baby. In other words, I had my outbreak, I was diagnosed on Saturday and I started taking the antibiotics, everything hurts, when I walk, when I sit, when I kneel. It's horrible, it burns so much when I pee. I got this cold sore on my lip and it looks so gross, I'm so disgusted with myself. I hope anyone can help me and give me some advice.
    • Posted

How long after you started your meds did they start to take effect?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.