How long doesit take to get the results of biopsy back?

Posted , 5 users are following.

It is going to be three weeks on thursday since I had my colonscopy.  The dr discussed the results over the phone with me and told he I have haemorrhoid but did not mention that I had a polyph removed which I find strange.  I asked about the results of the biopsy and he toldhe has not received it.  I expressed my concern and he said if there was anything suspicious I would have been contacted by now.  Is he saying that to reassure me?  Interested to know how did you get your biopsy results uk only pl?  Thanks

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Takes about 3 weeks.. the Doctor is correct you would have heard straightaway had there been anything sinister..

Doctor doesn't seem very worried, please stop worrying, all will be well, is just routine histology,  post Op, which is regular procedure.

• Posted

Hi Marie

When ever i have had biopsies taken during a colonoscopy the policy at the hospital was " we will only contact you if we find a problem...if you don`t hear anything within 2 weeks all is ok". However i would think your GP will receive the official report from the hospital.

• Posted

My GP has received the official report from the hospital but there is no mention of biopsy or removal of polyp. He told me the report is good except I have got haemorrhoid.  I take it it is normal procedure to send any polyp removed to the lab.  I have got a copy of the report it says no complications, preparation was good ,to rescope in 5 yrs, no further investigations are proposed and back to referrer.  I was so drowsy I did not ask any question is it possible no biopsy was taken?  Anyway GP said to give it another week and then ring again.  I guess his report and mine are identical as it puzzled me why he did not mention the removal of 8mm polyp. My mind will not be at rest until I get the results due to family history of bowel cancer. Thanks to your response and to Diana as well.
    • Posted

Hi Marie

If the hospital hasn`t contacted you after 3 weeks i would say its 99.9% certain the biopsies were clear. I don`t know if your in the uk or not but i understand its normal practice here to send biopsies/removed polyps to the lab for analysis. To put your mind at rest why not ring the hospital for their advice on the results?...

• Posted

I am in the uk.  Did phone the secretary she said gp will get results?  I guess no point worrying at least whatever the results will get good treatment here.  I have got so many ailments going on as well/ Thanks for all your support.
    • Posted

I am under the Royal London Hospital...saved my life twice ..eternally grateful to them and the NHS..let me know if you want any further advice...i`ve been through it all ...twice!...all clear now...best wishes ...regards!
  • Posted

Hi Marie,

Im from uk and I was told five weeks.  They also said they took three biopsies but no polyp.  This was Aug 18 last year and got a follow up appointment 4 Jan but I agree that anything suspicious is fast tracked and the pathology would telephone the secretary who would contact you, least that's what I was told,  biopsies in uk differ with areas and how busy they are at that time, i.e, xmas.  I had a biopsy of women's reproductive area to put it delicately and was told theee weeks it took ten I don't honestly think consultants know the time frame of some waiting times.  You can ring the secretary and ask though,

• Posted

Hi I also had polyps removed it took a few weeks to get my results back. They have a general idea if it's anything serious so plse stop worrying no news is good news x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.