How long each day do you spend in the bathroom?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello everyone,

My husband thinks he is suffering from IBS and I am trying my best to understand what it feels like for him.  He spends 2-4 hours every morning in the bathroom, which is difficult for me because we have two very young kids.  He explains to me that he has bad abdominal pain if he doesn't get all the bowel out of his system properly and that's why it takes so long.  I can't help but feel that it shouldn't be necessary to spend that long in the bathroom EVERYday for a couple of years now.  Can someone please help me understand this and/or share what you do to allow a normal lifestyle?  

Thank you in advance!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi e, when I have had an IBS episode it can take time clearing the bowels.  It would began with excess bloating, then cramping followed by constipation which can be painful, sweating ( feeling like your body is burning up) , cramping would continue until the diarrhea. Once the bowels were clear, some relief. Sometimes I would lie on the floor until the cramping would pass. It does not always happen in the exact order but pretty close to what I tried to describe. ...hope it was not to graphic.  There are a few other thing I left out.  If you would like those details, send me a private email.  Oh by the way my Doctor recommend a mild laxative if needed several times a week.  It helps especially if symptoms are more constipation than diarrhea.   I hope this helps a bit. 
  • Posted

...forgot to mention that I've never checked how long it takes but it can be time consuming. I also drink a dieters tea which really help to keep regularity.  Doctor also  recommended psyllium capsules.  The tea works the best for me.  

• Posted

Just guessing but he may be badly constipatied; altho, 4 hours seems a very long time and not healthy for him; especially if he is straining.  What might help is more water (at least 6 glasses a day if he can handle that) and a stool softener.  Did he say he was constipated?  If not, ask him.  Has he had a colonoscopy within the last 10 years?   When considering IBS, anything is possible. 
  • Posted

Your husband needs to go the doctor to get a firm diagnosis.  Does he have change of bowel habit habit and any pain after eating? Has he tried a food diary?  Does his stomach pain move about and does he get temporary relief after a bowel movement?
  • Posted

Best part of ,3 hours approx and on when I have an attack and that is one or two days a week. I could not handle any more. I have had days when it was 6 hours. I have already done so much damage to myself over the last 5 or so years. I am not sure I can take much more. I am back at the hospital again mid week.
  • Posted

I can tell you what I do but since I started down this road my life has never been normal again and doubt it ever will be but that maybe just me. 

After giving up work for a year I now undertake flexible working. I will never earn what I did previously but at the same time they are fine when I say I will be in at 1 today. Without flexibility I could not work. 

• Posted

He should not spend that long on the toilet. If he's sitting there straining all he's gonna do is give himself haemmarroids. Also lots of straining actually slows down the muscle contractions you need to pass the stool to begin with! It would be much better to do what he can, get up and walk around etc then only go back to 're toilet when he really has to go.

Taking a daily laxative sounds like it would really help him too.

• Posted

You need a bathroom for him alone, this must be awful for him and worse for him!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.