How long for Gel scar to come away after hysterectomy

Posted , 5 users are following.

How long till gel scar comes away. I am 3 weeks post op and only a little bit has come away. Don't want to pick at bits breaking away or can you to help it. Any tips

also, I am getting up in the night to pee still swollen in stomach area and having to take paracetamol so is this due to area swollen and wil get better once swelling improves.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

perhaps this sounds silly and i apologise for my ignorance in advance but what is a gel scar?
  • Posted

A gel scar is when I had a abdominal hysterectomy and they use glue to close the scar. So it looks like a strip go gel. They are doing this more now as there are no surface stitches to be taken out and apparently the look of the scar is better. But it is early days for me yet still waiting for the gel to come away.
    • Posted

oh wow that sounds brilliant, i had old fashioned staples so as you say scar is not only the cut but also all the little dots where the staples went in.
  • Posted

Hi Deborah

Mine started coming off end of 3rd week but lost them throughout 4th week. I still have my lower incision one. I am still swollen to at 5 weeks today I see doctor Saturday for follow up. I also pee about 3x am and 3x pm and before bed 2x. This could be due to all the water I have to drink to help with my constipation. Feel better....oh yes you can help the strip bandaid if they are coming off. Be careful though.

• Posted

My problem is having to get up during the night to pee at 3 am anfpd 6 am typically. I don't have an infection and am not one to get up in the night pre the op. My sister in law is a Dr and says to stop drinking at 9 I find it difficult it so far doesn't stop me just pee less. Do you have this problem have you any advise. I eat a lot of dried prunes for constipation and have taken senecot if things bad. My stomach still swollen and I get wind too. What is your pain like now. I have got more pain in scar area than before that has set my mobility back a bit. Spent most of yesterday in bed as my have snagged something but can't believe just walking around the house and a bit in the garden is overdoing it but I have had ac section before so may be a second incision is more difficult.

• Posted

Hello

my pain is less this week but if I step one wrong way the pain is like 6 to 7. The constipation makes it a 8. This weekend I did more moving and getting out. Today I rest up my body is tired and it's best to rest when body says rest. I drink sips to help with dry mouth due to my sclerderma disease. But did always go around 3am Pre surgery. I would say don't drink after 9pm see how that goes.

• Posted

Hi. It could be where you are still healing there is a lot of swelling its pressing on your bladder so cant go as long without a wee. Once healing starts to sort itself out hopefully this will ease. You also maybe awaking more because of turning in night and waking yourself up enough for your brain to say it needs your morning wee. Sorry if tmi! If its painful to go, check with dr. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.