How long for Sertraline to work?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have switched from being on 40mg of cital. 3 weeks ago I switched to Sertraline and have not really noticed any improvement. Still depressed, no appetite, anxiety and panic attacks. Seems like the medication is not working. Also not sleeping great so started taking Trazodone on 3rd day at 150 mg. do not like the feeling. I am able to get some sleep but takes awhile to get to sleep. No motivation. Any feedback would be appreciated

1 like, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

How are you feeling now? any change?

On my side I'm still on the roller-coaster of ups and downs.

What puzzles my pharmacist is how fast my mood changes, but she thinks having better "ups" than on citalopram, even if they are very short, is a good sign.

• Posted

Hi all

I was on Sertraline for 9 months in 2010 and for 9 months in 2015. I found it to work very slowly and just give you a leg up to push yourself and build your confidence.

I came off in December/January just gone and have been feeling good and motivated however had a stressful period at work and went on an alcohol binge last weekend and bang, the fear seems to be back and I think I need to go back on the medication

Anybody have any experience on relapses?

• Posted

When you come off these meds, your nervous system is highly sensitized, and anything can set off withdrawal symptoms, which is what I strongly believe you are having. The stress and alcohol binge likely set off a wave.  How did you come off? What kind of taper or did you cold turkey?  Withdrawal from coming off too fast can last months and includes anxiety, depression and/or insomnia, so people think they are relapsing and go back on the med.  Well, a tiny dose may be what you need, but only as a fix to the dependency the drug caused, not because you relapsed.
  • Posted

Hi, I was prescribed sertraline last week when I finally reached my limit and had a nervous break down.

I took it one day and felt so so sick and spaced out, I cud barely move and I was very unbalanced on my feet, dizzy and I could not read cause my eyes Couldn't focus, the words looked like they had lines going through them and popping out at me like 3D images. Also pictures looked like they were actually moving!!. It was all day. I haven't took again. So I'm just a mess if I'm honest but too anxious to even talk to ANYONE. I lock myself in my flat and I'm terrified at any noise!!.

Has anyone felt that bad from the first tablet??

Thanks for listening

• Posted

I started on Celexa (40mg) and Mirtazapine(45mg), then figured out I had anxiety, and my doc swapped the Sertraline for the Celexa.  Started out at 50mg per day, then after 10 days went to 125mg.  For me the Sertraline worked like the next day, BAM.  Then as the drugs crossed over, had a couple bad days, but it's been about 3 weeks, and I would say I have become mostly functional, but still a little anxiety hovering around.  Hoping it settles soon, as there is some stress coming up that I need to be able to handle smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.