How long for Surgery?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi

This is a uk question.

I have been diagnosed with gallstones last weekend from a ultrasound. Been today for a endoscopy to confirm i dont have stomach ulcers (which i dont however slight inflamation of the stomach so they took some samples)

Last week when i had the ultrasound it was due to me having to go into a+e. I knew it was either gallstones or ulcers (long family history of early gallstones in the 20's)

Now my surgoes from hospital are on leave until the 18th and i guess he will make a descision as it was recommended by the A+E surgeon i have it removed.

Any idea about the delay now on receiving a date to come in for removal? I really want to get on with my life. Does anyone have any estimates i can look at? The letter from A+E to the doctor suggested surgery in 2-4weeks however he has already been off since last week and thats already 2 weeks since my ultrasound.

thanks

[color=brown:19162488eb][size=9:19162488eb][i:19162488eb][b:19162488eb](Sorry but Patient Admin have removed a Doctor, Consultant and or Hospital name from this posting, as it is the policy of Patient UK not to publish these on this forum.)[/b:19162488eb][/i:19162488eb][/size:19162488eb][/color:19162488eb]

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I went to see surgeon mid august and got given first week december for the op - so been roughly 3 half months.

I think it all depends on the area your on the waiting list at, also personal circumstances (they put me as an urgent case as was very ill recently with them but have had to get a diff scan in mean time so this may have set the op date back) and also some hospitals have much bigger waiting lists than others.

as i say my wait is roughly 3 half months and only six weeks left now.

if you are having troule getting seen be persistent in getting an appointment with a surgeon even if it means a different hospital.

hope this info helps and good luck!!

• Posted

Hi

Had a call today from a staff member of the surgeon. He wants me to come in to see him so will be getting a letter soon to book an appointment.

I presume this might be my pre op, they have my ultrasounds, endoscopy, x rays etc.... who knows.

• Posted

Got my appointment for tomorrow to speak to my surgeon. Yep, i pushed hard and rang every day until he had a cancellation.

Original appointment was for the 16th so done well.

• Posted

Hi

After seeing my surgeon (one of the top stomach cancer surgeons in the uk) i was just waiting and didnt hear anything. I was really hoping to be done this year but i was not thinking it was going to happen.

Got my pre op on Friday and op on Monday! Really looking forward to it even though im slightly nervous but im not worried at all. In total, from referral to surgery it will be a total of 13 weeks! Not bad, justy hope they dont cancel now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.