How long for thyroid to return to pretreatment state?

Posted , 5 users are following.

How long would it take for a thyroid to return back to the pre-treatment  state after quitting desiccated thyroid?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Your brain will sense a drop in the thyroid supplement and increase its own production , it could take 2 weeks

Did your Dr switch you to Synthroid instead or your Thyroid tests show that your numbers are normal again ?

• Posted

With or without other medication?
    • Posted

Without medication. I was on Erfa Thyroid. I emailed them asking this same question and they said 4-6 weeks until thyroid returns to pre-treatment state. I just hear conflicting information on this subject. Everyone says something different. 1 person says 2 weeks, another 3 weeks.. this email says 4-6 weeks etc etc.
  • Posted

I quit my desiccated thyroid cold turkey. Because I didnt feel good, a few days after quitting I felt so much better but I continued with my plan. I was originally hypo because I very nutrient deficient, so the doc put me on synthroid and i felt horrible on it so he swapped me to desiccated thyroid and i felt good for a while.  I do not have hashimotos.

Its been 15 days now since I quit. I feel decent but still sluggish. Everyday i feel a bit better. About 4-5 days ago i was freezing cold especially hands and feet but that only lasted a day. I workout twice a day still. Strength is slowly increasing again. I am heavily into bodybuidling. I fixed my deficiencies through food. And i go through 4-8 potatoes a day at least just to hit 5000mg of potassium a day. 8-16 whole eggs a day, salmon, chicken, brazilian nuts, seaweed etc. I require lots of food for bodybuidling. All I did was switch to healthy food and make sure I get all vitamins through food which is quite hard to do for someone who cant eat a lot of food. I am losing weight because im dieting. I know how to lose weight regardless of my thyroid condition. In a couple of months I will start bulking and gain weight slowly on purpose. My food is carefully thought out. I have to watch calories for bodybuidling purposes I count everything. I enter all my food into spreadsheets online and at minimum I hate the RDA for every vitamin needed for a human body to function properly. I have been eating this way for 3 years. My blood tests are flawless and were always flawless even while I was hypo. Just my thyroid was subclinical hypothyroid. At that point in time I was missing crucial vitamins like iodine and following the wrong advice from doctors. Like a super duper low salt diet. 

• Posted

Dessicated thyroid has a high rate of intolerance , while artificial has a lower rate of intolerance like synthroid
    • Posted

I see, thanks for the elaboration. I agree with you tgat nutritional deficiencies can trigger hypothyroidism. Another culprit is toxicity. Mercury and bromine in particular are known triggers for hypothyroid disease. Radiation as well as pretty much any sort of toxicity that affects liver function can trigger thyroid disease. 

It is possible to reverse thyroid disease.  Sounds like you’re young and strong, so you’ll have good success with diet, nutrition and alternative treatments.

• Posted

Hi Frank, you’ll need to elaborate on your question. I assume you’re referring to the suppressive effects of thyroid medication?

I was on a bunch of different meds before I finally called it quits on the meds. Its been about two years now, I think. I’m finally starting to feel more like myself again, now.  

I’ve been using essential amino acids, and have gotten symptom relief from these along with acupuncture. 

My thyroid disease is quite advanced, so my dose was very high. I suspect if your dose us liwer, recovery would be faster.

Also, the recovery depends on the severity of your thyroid disease.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.