How long has it been since you felt joy about life?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was diagnosed with clinical depression when I was 38. My physician prescribed 20 mg/day of Paxil and it does help. But when Life's issues drag me down I still struggle.

I've been going through a depressive episode the last year and 4 months-since my Mom and brother died a few days apart (unrelated issues). I just can't seem to shake out of it. 

Seems like many years since I really felt joy in life. Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever really know it again. There has to be more to life than constant feelings of anxiety and depression.

I recognize we'll have tragedies and disappointment in life, but I just want to have a frame of mind that doesn't dwell on the darkness or worry about what may happen tomorrow. Being able to see some sunlight through the clouds once in awhile shouldn't be asking for too much, should it?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

In answer to your question many many years I feel exactly the same as you I'm on Venlafaxine and it isn't helping at all, my anxiety is terrible.  So please know that you are not alone.

• Posted

Hi valerie01412, thanks for caring enough to commiserate. I've been on Paxil for over 25 years (I am 63), I am an old guy. It probably has lost some of it's effectiveness or 'pooped out' as they say. At first, it was a very effective drug. Venlafaxine seems to work a little bit different than SSRI's, but is similar. How long have you been on it? Paxil took perhaps 6 weeks to really work when I first took it at 38, but it did a good job at least against depression when it kicked in. Maybe your medication just needs a wee bit more time?

SSRI's are less effective with anxiety than with depression, in my opinion. But they do reduce anxiety to an extent. Not sure about Venlafaxine.

I hope your medication improves in time, anxiety is a terrible affliction to those of us who suffer from it. Every day is a struggle, but as you noted-we are not alone. We have lots of company.

I will think positive thoughts towards you today. ({: ^)}

• Posted

been on Venlaxafine for nearly a year 300mg daily,  they tried '  '' boosting '' it with Mirtazapine but still no luck.

• Posted

I hear you, Phil.  Dealing with depression or PTSD does not always lead to "joy."

Your last paragraph touched me... I too seek the answer.

• Posted

Thanks Ken. I sincerely hope things work out for you as well. A face needs to smile once in awhile.  wink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.