How long have I had it?

Posted , 7 users are following.

A the time my first son was born in 1982,  my husband was diagnosed with Hepatitis C.  He was only recommended milk thistle and not treated with anything else. We were both 34 at the time  His liver enzymes were off back then but I don't remember how bad.  So he went many years before anything else showed up.   Beginning in 2015 my liver enzymes were slightly raised.  March of this year blood work showed positive for  the Hepatitis C virus..  The only results at this time is the original findings which is 11.0 and of course should be below the 0.9 limit.  Does the Hep c only flare and be active and contagious when the liver enzymes are off?  Or can it be active even if the liver enzymes are normal?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Pam 33148, Hep C is active at all times not just when liver enzymes are elevated.  You need to be put on meds to cure it.  For many years there has not been a cure but now there is.  Your husband needs to be rechecked as you proably contracted it from him milk thisle was not a cure.  Please get your doctor to refer you to an infectious disease doctor to follow up.  This disease can kill if not treated and is nothing to full with. I was diagnoised this year and am awaiting treatment.  You need to have more blood work and find out what Genotype you are.  Please do not mess with this. Good luck and God Bless please let me know if you have any questions I can answer, I will be glad to.
    • Posted

Hi sorry my english not good but I need u r help iam hepatitis b patient but my dr tell me that I dont need any madication becoz my viral load is not too much and my fibro scan result is very good my liver is ok but my hepatitis b reactive.
    • Posted

Hi zoya2773 you can relax you have a doctor that cares and will put you on meds if your viral load goes up and you are in need of meds he/she sounds like they know what they are doing and they care.  They have done the right thing and the right tests.  Hep B is not cureable with meds like Hep C and also not as dangerous it can go away on its own or be controlled with meds if your doctor feels they are needed.  If your viral load is low and your doctor is keeping an eye on you with future blood work I would not worry.  Just make sure to wash your hands well after using the rest room because that is how it can be passed  through stool.  It is not passed by blood like Hep C.  It is not sexually transmitted in conventional sex but can be transmitted through anal sex in some cases and would be a concern for someone that might practice that. I am just giving you as much information as I can.  Your liver is good as far as your scans and that is a positive thing you have a good doctor and he will make sure to check your liver enzymes and viral load as needed if you ever feel a need just ask your doctor as a reminder to check them again.  I am sorry you are dealing with this and will pray it goes away on its own.  Enjoy your life and do not let this control you just wash hands, very important and always before preparing food and you should be good on not spreading it to anyone else.  God Bless and if you have any questions please let me know and I will do my best to answer them.   
    • Posted

Thanks for reply but lots of questions in my mind I dont know how this is happen to me iam not married yet why this is happen what is my future with this iam so scared all my tests are ok hepatitis delta also non reactive but hepatitis b is reactive iam so worried and one more thing my all family members are safe theres hepatitis b and c tests reports are nagetive they r not infected from me thanks GOD my little sister sleeping with me since childhood we use eachother makeup n wear eachother cloths we eat together but now I dont allow her to eat me everything now separated bcoz of precautions my dr said forget that u have hepatitis b u r immune system will fight and no risk for future but iam not satisfied yet i believe my dr but iam confused all this happens with me so suddenly thats y iam so distrub I search on google all the time about hepatitis b and information is so scary like liver cancer and blood cancer o my GOD save me plzzzz sad

• Posted

Hep B is transmitted by blood. Injectable drug users were commonly infected with hep b by sharing needles and then along came hep c. So many ex drug users would've been infected with both. Unfortunately hep b can become chronic and lead to cirrhosis in 20% of those infected and of those 10% can develop cancer. However, the rest will clear the virus themselves.

• Posted

Agree 100% with what lori13 says.  Both you and your husband need your viral load and genotype checking, and tests to check on how much damage has been done/is being done to your liver to assess the urgency for treatment.

You need to be treated to rid your body of the virus, there is no other cure than pharmaceutical - dont be fooled by people who say herbs or milk thistle or 'natural remedies' are a cure. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.