How long have you been taking MTX?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi there

Sounds like a simple question - But if any of you lovely people can tell me how long you have been taking this drug?  My husband has been taking 15mg once weekly for five years - 8 months ago he suffered a stroke - months prior to his stroke I had noticed he was losing words - His stroke left him with aphasia which he has been working on and there are great improvements - however - I notice when he takes his weekly dose of MTX his speech worsens - His consultant says there are no relationships with stroke and MTX or aphasia and MTX - But he lowered his dose to 12 mg and his speech improved?  However, his psoriasis worsened - and believe me he had very bad psoriasis before taking MTX and we both see it as a wonder drug for this condition.  

But now we are worried that his stroke or at least his recovery is being hampered by the drug?  And don't know what to do - it's a bit of a Catch 22 - has anyone else found the longterm use of MTX has lead to speech loss?  Or stroke?  He didn't suffer high blood pressure, doesn't drink alcohol and has no family history of stroke so it was a bit of a mystery, however, he is diabetic.

Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

I was on 15mg&developed an abscess on my breast&one on my face.Have been on metho 5 yrs for RA.

Drug has been reduced to 10mg+Sulfasalazine.I still feel ghastly day aftrr taking metho.This amended dosage ×Sulf.does appear to be keeping RA in check.

• Posted

Thanks Joyce

He normally feels poorly too the day after taking MTX has done since he started taking them.  

• Posted

Hi! How old is he? MTX IS a wonder drug but it totally has side effects! I've been on it for 7 months 2 months ago I started losing significant amounts of hair and and also started having tremors. Im fairly worried that these tremors are a direct result of the MTX. Its such a mixed bag because for me MTX keeps my Lupus at bay BUT I am thinking that there must be a better dosage. I was on 15mg per week now Im on 12mg injectable. Maybe get a second opinion thats what Im doing end of the month. Good luck and trust your instincts on this NO. MATTER what any one says. Sunny

• Posted

Hi Sunny

This is the problem - I'm finding it hard to get his consultant to listen to me - he dismissed it out of hand - we will talk to another of his consultant's but I expect the same sort of reply - it's almost like they don't believe you or they think you're being hysterical in some way - or perhaps reading DR Google too much smile 

And then they believe as does he that the psoriasis was so bad - this is the only med that will help - in fairness he doesn't want to go back to being covered in it - But if it is the med that is holding his recovery back or even if it somehow led to his stroke? I have to ask which is worse - psoriasis or a cognitive disability?  He's lates 50's btw.

• Posted

Sunny, I'm kind of surprised you are on such a low dose of methotrexate. I have symptomatic lupus. I am on 80 mg per milliliter a week. I've only been taking it for 2 weeks now., so two injections so far. And I am concerned that I have not feel any side effects yet. My joints don't feel any better my weight has not dropped my hair is not falling out which is good. I don't notice any difference in the amount of fatigue that I have. It just stays the same.

• Posted

Hi Jamie, gosh 2 weeks isnt that long really. Give it some time. It took me almost 6 weeks to feel better (for the symptoms). Im glad to connect with someone else with Lupus on MTX. Its sort of an. "Off label use" but for a lot of us it works. My MTX comes in a 2ml vial of 50 mgs total so when you divide that in to 1/2 ml (.5ml) injections its 12.5 mg. Maybe it has to do with body weight and severity of symptoms, Im sure it does. The injections are so much easier on the body then the oral MTX. Im so glad I switched. Management is the key here and trying to stay positive. I get the butterfly rash here (and on other body parts, mostly extremities)

and there but usually at times of great stress. Joint pain comes and goes. I'd love to hear how your experience is progressing. Wish you all the best and hope tho ear back. Feel better. Sunny

• Posted

This is your husband we are talking about. The extension of you.  Get another opinion and go with questions written down! Dont let anyone with a medical degree dismiss your concerns. Do some research online...PLEASE get another medical opinion.

Sunny

• Posted

Hi. I have been taking 10mgs once a week for about ten years. I do blood tests every three months to check my liver and kidneys and so far no side effects.

Adrian

• Posted

I've been taking Methotrexate by injection every Friday for the past two weeks. I take 80 milligrams per milliliter a week. I haven't had any side effects whatsoever I'm actually concerned that it's not doing what it should. I take a multivitamin everyday or prenatal whichever for the folic acid. Although I have noticed my hair has gotten a lot drier none of it has fallen out. Why are you on such a low dose?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.