How long have you had HSV2 and how often do you get outbreaks?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had my first outbreak in November 2017, heavy flu symptoms however the symptoms never matched what was described online for herpes- was more like balantitis on my penis.

Anyway i have only ever had 1 outbreak in my first year which was in in July. i got a swab test and came back positive for herpes- they didnt specify if it was HSV1 or 2. Ive not had anorher outbreak since.

My question is mainly directed to those who have been diagnosed for a long period. Over time do your outbreaks decrease? Im 21 fit and healthy. i am hopeful that if ive only had 1 outbreak in my first year theres a chance it may not reappear often in future. ive red a few peoples experience they reoccur every few month which isnt my situation.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

My genital HSV2 was picked up in 2015.

The interval between outbreaks has gradually got longer each time. So the second outbreak was 5 weeks after the first one. My most recent outbreak was 11 months after the previous one.

• Posted

thank you for your reply.

what is your age if you dont mind me asking?

• Posted

You should call your doctor to see what type you have. Its important info to know in terms of transmission/shedding rates, how to handle it, what to expect, etc.

Just because you have it genitally doesnt mean its HSV2. I have HSV1 on my genitals that I got from receiving oral from someone who didnt even have a coldsore at the time.

• Posted

You're a lucky case then to have only had one OB in a year! HSV2, especially during the first year, is supposed to be more active. With all HSV (1 and 2, oral and genital), OBs lessen and apparently shedding lessens too the longer you have it. It is most contagious during the first year while your body is still building antibodies to it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.