How long is mono contagious?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

I'm at 4 1/2 months with my mono now and just coming out of a 5 week extreme fatigue cycle.

Does anyone know how long the contagious period of mono is? In the first few weeks or ongoing until all symptoms disappear. I still gave the swollen glands throughout my body and other horrible symptoms nuerologically as well as the fatigue and body aches. So I'm not sure how to explain to family and friends when they ask if I may pass it onto them.

Thanks in advance

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kliffy,

I wondered this too when I went through the virus, I think that I passed the virus onto a girl I kissed and that was about 7 months after initial diagnosis. I was still unwell with the virus at the time but had thought I wouldn't be contagious still. I think probably the best answer is you are contagious for as long as feel the symptoms, but again that is only an opinion based on my own experience - not sure what the doctors would have to say but certainly worth asking them.

And remember it's not easy at all to pass this virus on, it was through kissing that I passed it to that person, being passed on through saliva means friends and family around you are generally safe from it, just be careful about things like sharing drinking glasses and things like that. I had no experience of passing it on to anyone else and was around loads of people daily!

And remember you will get better from this - everyone's timescale of recovery is different, it did take me 9 or so months but that doesn't mean to say it will for you - hang in there and hoping for a settled day and week for you. You WILL get there truly you will Kliffy - hang in there and thinking of you, and remember God heals!!

Craig

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Craig. I do agree with you that if the symptoms are present then it makes sense that the virus is contagious under certain conditions. I will be seeing my doctor next week but I was curious on others opinions on here.
    • Posted

Good luck at the doctors Kliffy, hope you manage to see a good one and they can shed some light on this issue for you. Hoping this awful fatigue is settling for you, it's horrible I know the feeling when your body feels beaten up. Remember though the storm will pass.

Craig

• Posted

I've wondered this too! I'm not sure, but no one in my family has gotten it. My husband has been all in my space and he's fine. As many people in the world have, he's probably had the virus and so his body is fine. I have two children and I've just been careful not to share any food/drink items with them. I still kiss them on the cheek. I'm starting Month 9 of this, so I'd think they would have gotten it by now if they were going to get it....? Crossing my fingers--I think I'd have a huge fit if this happened to them!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.