How long is too long to wait for citalopram to work?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have taken 2 times previously in my life and it was AMAZING! Other than the initial first couple of weeks, but around the month mark both times I was simply me again!!

3rd time not so lucky it turns out...

Think it's been a bit user error and also overthinking... but is it time to give up and try something else even though I had so much faith in these little life saver pills?

I started taking 20mg early March, started to feel much better after 2 weeks, upped it way too soon to 40mg so side effects came back, then started to feel much better again after 2 weeks.. then went to see a doctor and wanting reassurance I asked if they will work as well as they had for me in the past. She said sometimes your hormones can change, as soon as she said that I filled up with anxiety again. Almost 4 weeks ago I had had enough, so went back down to 20mg to start weening off but had a good week and decided to give it a bit longer.. have now been on 20mg for almost 4 weeks and although sleep and appetite is better, it is still all I can think about and I am still pretty much a nervous wreck. Negative thoughts, gritting teeth, feeling low, but just not being able to get it out of my head!! On the plus side I am getting myself to work more often and have joined the gym which I love. Mornings are the worst. At nearly 3 months, albeit with a couple of up and down of dosage, is it time to cut my losses or should I stick my my previous life saver?

I know doctors say give it 6 weeks but would love to hear stories where it is a happy ending eventually xx

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I was also on citalopram before and it worked wonders within about 6 weeks. I was on 40mg for about a year and a half and then slowly came off thinking I didn't need it anymore. A few months later I had some difficult circumstances and the anxiety and panic attacks came back so I started citalopram again, like you, probably went up too fast just desperate for it to help again. It was horrific at first and then got slightly better but I was still worse off than when I was when I started and after 4 months I threw in the towel and came down to 20 and then switched to sertaline. I've only been on this for a few weeks but I'm already starting to feel like I'm going to get somewhere.

I'm not saying you should change too but my main anxiety being on citalopram was that because it wasn't working this time nothing would and I wouldn't get better but I know now that there are other options and it's not a dead end.

I still can't understand why it's had such a dramatically different effect this time. Doesn't make any sense to me.

• Posted

So happy you have found something that is now working for you! It is definitely giving me more anxiety that it is not working as well as before, I just don't understand. Some say I am overthinking them this time, but they're for anxiety surely that's what anxiety is haha! I have heard good things about sertraline so good luck, I have doctors on Friday to discuss my options but I find all they ever say is everyone is different and reacts differently, I find it very frustrating as in the mean time I have a life to be living here, which I am sure you can relate to xx

• Posted

I don't think gps really understand themselves why it doesn't work sometimes. I feel like it's just trial and error with these drugs and our lives are just out on hold while this goes on. I hope something does start working for you soon! X

• Posted

I'm in the same boat. I was on 20mg for a month week three and four were amazing. My friends even noticed the difference. Then out of nowhere I was in line getting my prescription and had an anxiety attack almost as bad as the first one I had that sent me to the hospital. Called the Dr he bumped me up to 40mg which I have been on for a month now. All of a sudden today I had a horrible attack at work to the point I had to take a Xanax and come home to lay down. For the the most part I feel ok not myself but ok Everyone says stick it out hopefully they are right. But, when do you know if it's not for you?

• Posted

I have experienced lots of ups and downs, I think that is quite normal in the first month or so and then again with a dose increase. As previously when I have taken citalopram I had ups and downs and then around the month part it was all up. Can't tell you how much I wish that had been the case for this time too. I don't want to loose the faith just yet...! Plus scared to try something new x

• Posted

Can a blimp last a couple days?
    • Posted

I guess so. I have been very up and down. Previously when taking citalopram I remember feeling bad for the first 2 weeks, then better symptom wise but still thinking about it all the time, then had a really bad couple of days and then after that it was all up... so I do believe you can have blips along the way. Still waiting for my all the way up this time 🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼

• Posted

Well hopefully it comes soon for you. I've come to the realization today stress is a huge trigger for me which really sucks. Considering the fact in a crisis situation I was the go to guy now I have to deal with this. Medic school starts in September this must end.

• Posted

It really does get in the way of life. I have so much to look forward to and yet I can't get excited about any of it. I am sure you can relate. This is not my personality whatsoever, I am sure everyone feels this way. Good luck, we are stronger than we give ourselves credit for x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.