how long it would take for fluoxetine to kick in ?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been experiencing anxiety for a long long time. I think it started when i was a kid as i was a very shy kid and felt very uncomfortable being around with people.

I started using Fluoxetine about 7 week ago. i started with 20mg until 5th week and up my dose to 40mg. this is my 7th week(2nd on 40mg) on Fluoxetine. I felt little improvement on 3rd week and that was it.

please advice me how long more do i wait until i would find some improvement ?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jamess, 

Fluoxetine can take really long to kick in, especially if you've just gone through a dose change.

I have been on 20mg now for 13 weeks and it is really only in the last week or 2 that I have felt much better. I also changed over from generic to original (same dose) and even that affected me, still dealing with the increased side effects from that.

Give it up to the 12 week mark at your current dose, is my suggestion.

All the best!

• Posted

Thank you Bambithegirl for you reply. it has given me a hope.

Did you feel any better before 12th week or it just happened after that ? I was expecting it would improve some of my symptoms until now but it has not. 

• Posted

To be honest the first weeks of Fluoxetine was absolutely awful for me. I had so many side effects and new ones kept appearing every week. But that's apparently how it goes. Loss and appetite, sleep disturbances and a severe increase and anxiety and depression were my worst problems but again, not sure if that was the disease or the meds!

I had some good moments and good days from about week 8 but it really takes ages because it felt like my brain was being rewired completely. I am now only feeling a sense of normality, but its different for everybody.

Keep your Doctor informed of your progress and see him/her regularly until the medication settles.

• Posted

my side effects are awful too. loss of appetite, poor sleep, waking up early(only could manage to sleep for 3-4 hrs only), also increased my anxiety for sure. Sleep started improving in last couple of days.

I have been going to gym regularly, eating healthy too. trying as hard as i can to get rid of this anxiety.

i am going to stick with the medication for the time being. hopefully i will get better soon. god can't be cruel.

thank you so much your message. Gave me so much hope in this journey. 

are you cured now ?

• Posted

Well I am starting to feel normal again! I dont think there is such a thing a 'cured' with depression and anxiety. And we cannot place all our hope in the medication. As you said, exercise and eating well is very important, and I also do CBT twice a month.

At the start I didnt want to accept what all the other people on here were saying to me, that recovery is a journey with ups and downs. I wanted to just wake up one day and feel fixed. But it doesnt work like that. Some days will be good and some days will be bad. Just try not to overthink it and try and still do stuff, it will pass.

• Posted

You have given me hope. Im into my 6 th week. Also this is my 3rd time on fluoxetine in 20 years and the side effects are much worse, also it seems to be taking a lot more time to work x
    • Posted

Bambi thank you for that ???? 

I'm on day 68. Almost 10 weeks in and still not anywhere near where I want to be. Like you, after 8 weeks I started having some good days, but overall not great. Same things bug me as well, sleep disturbances (mostly early waking), and anxiety and depression. Which is funny because I never really dealt with depression until I started on the fluox! What you posted just gave me so much hope though, that things will get better with time. Thank you for that!!

• Posted

Hi Su78213,

You said this is your 3 rd time 20 year. Has it worked in the past ? How long until you started finding improvement ?

• Posted

How are you doing now Jamess? 
    • Posted

Hi Laura,

I am feeling amazing after 7th week. it's has changed my life completely. I don't Freak out being around with people, more outgoing, feel like interacting with people. i am not 100 % alright. but last 2 week it has been decreased significantly. i started laughing, started enjoying little things in life. The only problem with me is i still have shaky hand for some reason. I went to doctor yesterday and talked to her. She asked me to do blood test. i did it this morning. Thyroid might also caused shaky hand. so, hopefully i will have that fix in next week. Apart from that i am doing absolutly amazing. I have so much hope now.

I also go to gym everyday, do weight and running and try to eat healthy. this helped me also i think.

For some user, Prozac kicked in early and others it take awhile. everyone is different. I have read a review o a lady, where prozac started kicking in the system after 4-5 months. I know it is hard to hang in there without any improvements. I believed you will feel better for sure. at the same time talk to your doctor also.

how are you doing ? If you need help, you can contact me through this forum anytime. 

God bless you,

• Posted

Hi Jamess! Wow a lot has changed for you in 9 days! I'm so pleased for you smile smile  I hope you get to 100% soon. I have been improving lately as well.  Still not where I want to be, but hopefully on the right track! 

• Posted

I've just switched to this med after being on another for several years, which has stopped working for me. Have taken 40mg daily for 11 days. Not kicking in yet but the old one now washed out of my system. I'm surprised and disappointed to read that folks are taking it for many weeks before benefit appears. So tired of feeling sick and tired. Couch is chained to my butt and it is near impossible to build any incentive to get work done. Crapola. How are you doing on this now, 10 month after your other posts?

Donna

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.