How long of work after TKR

Posted , 14 users are following.

I am due to have a TKR next week (getting nervous now!). How long did you have of work afterwards. My surgeon had said I'll be off for 6 weeks. I work in office admin.

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Its really depends on your recovery. Everyone is different. I wsd advised 6 weeks for a sedatary job or 4 months for non sedatary job. I work in the NHS went back after 3 and a half months on supposed phased return which did not really happen! Hence struggled for the 1st 2 weeks back but it was great 5o be back.

Just see how you go all the best.

• Posted

Everyone recovers diiferent! I had a partial and been in a lot of pain/ stiffness/soreness and I’m at 9 weeks post opt! I will be going back at 11 weeks. Although this was my second knee surgery within 11 months, first one was artherscopic meniscus tear which made my knee worst! My knee was t fully recovered from the previous surgery. I think that’s why it’s been a long recovery process and still going for therapy ! Good luck with surgery . 
  • Posted

6 weeks is a conservative estimate im 8 weeks and certainly couldn't manage going to work this is my second leg tkr and i was the same with the first dont rush back you will only end up with inflammation and pain Let your body decide not the surgeon My surgeon told me 12 moths before you can say you're over the tkr and has been known for it to take 2 years x

• Posted

In my opinion it will take longer than 6 weeks until you feel ready to go back to work.

My guess is it will be at least 8 weeks and that is only if you do not have work that requires continuous standing or walking around a lot. Desk work is ok.

Make sure you continue to take pain killers and regular Phiso

Good luck

• Posted

I would stay st home for at least 12 weeks unless your sick pay stops before this
  • Posted

I went back for odd meetings from 5 weeks then gradually increased but didn’t go full time til 3 months. Hardest thing for me was sitting - knee and muscles ceasing up even after half an hour. Even now I have to ‘straighten myself out’ for a good 2 or 3 mins after getting up. But remember everyone is different so you might be running around at 5 weeks. Good luck! 
  • Posted

This may help...but really not because you won't know where you fell (past tense) under the bell curve until your recovery has been completed.  There is never any "presumption" as to where you will fall (future tense) before the surgery or even during your recovery...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-recovery-bell-curve--563756

Just give up all your expectations...they only lead to "the dark side"...seriously.  This the most zen of all surgeries: "I will be better when I'm better."  Period.  Listen to your knee...it always knows the path.

• Posted

I am at 6 weeks tomorrow from left TKR. I have a desk job and there is no way I could go back to work yet. Sitting in a chair for any length of time without leg up is stil difficult. My Dr gave me 3 months off and I’m taking every day of it.  I currently can drive (although that has its discomforts) and spend an hour and a half at the pool a day. 
  • Posted

If you can, take 3 months off, though in admin, I guess you could work from home? Or do some part time? Everyone is different , so hard to say. Depend on how accommodating you work are. ..i.e. in terms of letting you keep your leg up, etc.

Try not to get too anxious...

What helped me a lot was knowing that while this is major surgery it is also very routine surgery and they are very well practiced at it!

You just have to choose to trust yourself into their capable hands!

Arr e you in UK?

• Posted

I thought id be back in 2 months.....no way

then I thought 3 months.......still no way 

I went to my work place at 4 months and they said no way

so hopefully after 5 months......going back on phased return 

im an intensive care nurse my bosses didn't want me to go back when I wasn't ready plus the NHS pay you full pay for 6 months so I'm not going back until my knee gives me permission 😜

• Posted

Hello, there. Just had my tkr on left knee in Nov 17. Everyone heals differently! ! I would advise you to take more than 6 weeks... Elavate, Ice, exercise and Rest. It takes about 3 months for nerves to heal, 1- 6months for bone and up to a year to recover full. This site is very helpful...careful of scar tissue. ..Vitamin e lotion or Alogen. Massage the scar & surrounding areas..

• Posted

Hi debs

Firstly concentrate on your recovery do all the things you need to do there is plenty of advice in this forum but as you have probably heard everyone has different recovery times I was office based when I had my TKR I was back at work after 8 weeks started at about 5 hours a day and worked up to full time at 12 weeks I hope all goes well with your op and wish you a speedy recovery.

• Posted

Take the 6 weeks if you can. I eased back in after three weeks and it did set be back. 
  • Posted

Hi Debs, the surgeons always say you'll be back at work at 6 weeks!

I told my boss that in 2016 but had to ring & revise that at 5 weeks! No way could I manage! Ended up going back at 12 weeks!

As you are in admin it isn't so bad but the very fact that you will be sitting with your knee bent for a complete working day isn't going to be good for your knee! Believe me it will let you know as well! It will swell & hurt!

Once you have your op & you're in the recovery/rehab stage you will have a better idea of how long recovery may be. Nobody can say now how you will be. You may be one of those who sail through this & are able to go back at 6 weeks but at this point in time you just don't know! Let your knee guide you it will be in charge.

Also you aren't just getting over a major op, you will also be doing your rehab exercises & physio. It's a 2 stage process, done at the same time!! Recovery/rehab!

Unless you work in an office where you can put your leg up to rest your knee or take regular breaks in a rest room where you can sit & rest your leg onto a chair for at least 20 mins at a time, be very very wary of making promises to return to work.

At 6 weeks I couldn't sit with my leg bent for more than 15 minutes,! Not only that I was still exhausted from the op! Another thing surgeons don't prepare us for is post op fatigue & sometimes depression.

If you aren't too squeamish, have a look at the operation on YouTube. It's a facinating watch & will give you insight into how much you need to heal after!

A lot of what I have said is my experience if TKR both in 2016 & last year. As I said maybe you will heal quickly & easily (see Chico's Bell Curve Recovery thread), but you won't know where you will be on the bell curve until after your op! Hopefully you'll recover quickly & be back at work quickly??

Good luck for your op. Keep us posted as to how you're doing.

Marilyn 

XX

• Posted

12 weeks was a struggle. It’s an investment in your future health and so if finances allow let your knee decide. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.