How long PPI takes to ease the pain?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

This is my story if anyone wants to read https://patient.info/forums/discuss/severe-upper-abdominal-pain-gastritis-pancreatitis-hernia-or-ulcer--634677

How long it usually takes PPI to work? I have been suffering from severe upper stomach pain that is unbearable, its like getting punched in your stomach. This pain was caused by 7 days antibiotics tripple therapy that is usually prescribed for hpylori.

I am taking omperazole 20mg its my 3rd day and I am feeling nothing. My pain is severe I accept but want to know usually how many days omperazole takes to work. By that I mean after how many days the person start feeling at least some affect? My symptoms are severe upper stomach pain with nausea and lack of appetite, no burning.

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

PPIs are not for pain. They just prohibit the making of excess acid in stomach. Who told you to ease pain. You need pain meds.
  • Posted

I have been reading mixed views. Can gastritis or ulcer be just pain without burning?

What other possibility is there of such painful and sore stomach feeling after antibiotics. The antibiotics reaction if you may call it hasnt subsided in 3 months. Pain is unbearable.

• Posted

Hi HumanBeing

Your stomach will be very sore after the 3 course AB's for HPylori. You have to be careful what you eat no acidic or fatty fried foods or spicey foods and fizzy drinks...also AB's can leave intestinal candida which will cause pain..take probiotics to put good bacteria back into your gut to replace the bacteria that was destroyed by the AB's and eat prebiotic foods....

• Posted

It has been 3 months since last dose of antibiotics. I am in severe pain ever since. Upper stomach pain like you got punched and severe that make it difficult to breathe walk or eat sometimes. Docs cant seem to find any apparent cause. The pain started on the second day of antibiotics it was really severe I dont think it was candida. Can candida or things like that cause so much severe pain in the upper abdomin its really unbearable and feels like I am going to die.
    • Posted

Hi HumanBeing

Candida can cause a lot of pain maybe not quite as you describe. Have you had an ultrasound scan to see what is going on in your abdomen. If not request one fromyour doc. Also, there is a special urine test for candida(google it)...and ask doc to do a urine test to check for candida...

• Posted

Yes blood test including LFTs, Complete blood picture, Lipase Amylase, Ultrasound all came back clear.
  • Posted

Omeprazole is taken for acid reflux.  For some people with acid reflux, feel better after 2 or three days with omeprazole. However, it can take up to 4 weeks for the medication to work fully. You could persevere with omeprazole for four weeks to see if your symptoms improve.  If they don’t,  I would go back to your doctor for further advice and tests.  Maybe you need a higher PPI dose, a different PPI or a painkiller.  Milk is also very soothing for sn irritated stomach, maybe try that in the meantime.
    • Posted

I have thought about drinking milk so many times, but I have read so many bad things about it being bad for gastritis and ulcer that I dont dare drinking it. It may mask the symptoms a little but most people say its does t cure inflammation. I am suffering from a lot of pain and cant take risk, although I like to drink milk so much but the pain is horrible so I dont dare try it. Is there any study which shows it my be good for healing inflammation?
    • Posted

Milk will calm your stomach because it is alkaline and will help to reduce acid and pain.  My grandad, who was a GP, cured his ulcer with milk.  My acid is immediately helped by it; it doesn’t simply mask symptoms; it gets rid of them.

Don’t rely solely on online advice because it is very general and doesn’t take account of individual cases.  It doesn’t apply to everyone.  Everyone is different.   The people who say it doesn’t cure inflammation are saying that because it didn’t help them; that doesn't mean that it won’t help anyone.

If you are not lactose intolerant, it won’t do you any harm.  You have nothing to lose since you are in so much pain. Don’t be frightened to try something new,  it is completely natural and is not harsh like the medications you had to take.  You will  only know for sure whether it helps or not by trying it.  A study will tell you how others have responded to it, but it won’t tell you how you personally will react to it. 

• Posted

Don't drink dairy not for your digestive system. Try almond milk. Its delisious believe me my stomach issues vanished. Vanilla try it. Makes my stomach. Great

• Posted

Dairy can be very beneficial to your digestive system.  Some people are intolerant to dairy but that doesn't mean that everyone is.  If you don't try it, you won't know how it will affect you.   Everyone is different. Milk really helps my digestive system and helps my heartburn. I can feel it soothing my stomach as soon as I drink it.

You should not avoid dairy unless you have an intolerance or allergy to it.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.