How long recovery after LAHV with bladder repair and excision of endo

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, could anybody tell me how long recovery could be having a LAHV hysterectomy with everything removed maybe ovaries if they are not healthy and prolapsed bladder repaired at the same time and excision of any endo, Ive been put on the waiting list last week and been told it could be a 18-20 week wait but that would only give me 5-7 weeks to recover before I Go to Mexico on a 10 hour flight for 2 weeks and I'm very worried I wouldn't have recovered in time or still be feeling ill on holiday.

Thanks

Sharron x

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sharron.  I had vaginal hysterectomy with anterior and posterior repair done six weeks ago.  I was discharged by the consultant this week and given the go ahead to go to Majorca next week.  You will have to tell your travel insurance company.  They are including it in my policy at no extra charge.  I am back to normal apart from still getting a bit tired.  My recovery was also delayed as I had an infection and a haematoma which bled for several weeks.  Hopefully all will be straightforward and you will be ok
    • Posted

Thank you Clarissabelle you have put my mind at rest, I have already taken out travel insurance with pre-existing medical condition because I've got underactive thyroid so I will ring them and let them no I've had hysterectomy when the times comes. Would I after get the doctors permission to give me the go ahead to fly? 

Sharron x

• Posted

Hi. If you waiting 20 weeks anyway is it worth calling hospital and see if appointment can be after your holiday as then you wouldn't put any pressure on yourself to recover or do things before you are ready. I'm waiting for hysterectomy inc ovaries for endo and I asked it was delayed two months because I'd have no one at home as date given was when hubby was away for work plus he had no leave left as had used it all up for investigating op. If you do delay it check they still have you down as I was lost on system. If you haven't gone thru menopause and ovaries are going you might take longer to settle too xx
    • Posted

Thank you froggy28, I'm thinking about that has well I won't no until I wake up if they have took my ovaries then it would be sorting hrt out, but I'm also really wanting this operation to hopefully once and for all sort me out and hopefully be pain free I have been waiting over a year for it doing now with them sending me for MRI then waiting for follow up appointments and I'm worried I would be put back even longer or forgotten of the list. 

Thanks 

Sharron x

• Posted

Hi Sharron

yes I agree.  If you are having your ovaries removed it might take longer for your recovery. My friend recovered relatively quickly from her TAH but it took another 6 weeks before she got her HRT right. I can't say as I am only 11 days post op

take care

lee x

• Posted

Thank you Lee, hope you are recovering well and taking things easy. I think I will speak to my doctor and see what she suggests I'm best doing, waiting and seeing when I get my date and see if to delay it or if it gives me enough recovery time if to go ahead and get it done.

sharron x

• Posted

From others on here some haven't gone back to work for 12 weeks so if you can give yourself that sort of time. If you explain to hospital they may see you sooner smile
    • Posted

I work for NHS and they have put a plan in place for me to have 12 weeks off when I have it done, I might after see if they would do it sooner, not going to hold my breath though lol 😊 x
    • Posted

You can always ask. I work NHS too but it doesn't help if you become a patient lol
    • Posted

Yes. I've found that and people "pop in' too! Good luck with it all. I hope you can get it brought forward x
  • Posted

Hi Sharron

I had a vaginal hysterectomy on Good Friday with bowel and bladder removed and then repositioned and then my surgeon put my womb back in place.lol  He said it was such a good specimen it would be a terrible waste to throw it away!  Bearing in mind I will be 65 next week, it is perhaps a little strange but I think his reasoning was the womb will help to keep everything in place along with lots of kegel exercises.   He resited everything very high up and is extremely pleased with himself.  

I was sent home the following day.  I am now walking the dog (she is very very gentle to walk) twice a day, preparing all the meals with hubby lifting the heavy pots.  I have to say I feel amazing, it is wonderful to have everything back in its rightful place.  I was only on light paracetamol in hospital and now I just take the odd half a dose, but all I get is a little twinge now and again.  

You should be fine for your holiday, if there are not complications.  Drink as much water as you can for the first 6 - 8 weeks to make sure you keep infection at bay.  Take oil of peppermint drops, two in a glass of water three times a day for the gas for about a week.  Don't lift anything remotely heavy.  Good luck.

Love

Jacqui smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.