how long should a patient support?

Posted , 11 users are following.

hi.

i am not a case of thr, but i live with a woman who operated 12 days ago.

i help her for all of daily activities such as praparing breakfast . lunch dinner,cooking, medication ,washing of hand ....

in your opinion excessive support can delay recovery &return to normal life?

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am about to have THR Friday, and ny doc said no weight bearing at all for 3 wks just touch toe for balance. then I can touch toes and heel down  but very lightly for another 3 wks, then, still with walker, start minimal weight bearing for another 2-3 wks.  So---I would think if I was was on a walker and doing minimal weight bearing I would still be needing a lot of help!! And 12 days is not even 2 wks!! Some others here start weight bearing much earlier, but I'm in US and my doc is conservative.

Also, almost  everyone feels very fatigued for a couple of months due to stuff like surgical insult to the body. She may well be very tired and feeling unable to cope.

then of course is the side effects of pain meds that drag you down.

i think she needs more time for most everyday tasks and definitely for big tasks like cooking, laundry . 

Hope this helps some. Wishing you both best of luck.Lee

• Posted

i wish you best too.

i live in iran .her doctor allowed weight bearing the day after op.

• Posted

Hi, mojgan

sounds like you're doing the right thing. I had THR five months ago. My hip is fine.

but I find that I am in a small percentage of people that end up with nerve damage. My left leg from my need to my foot is numb and I've had excruciating nerve pain,

The pain has left, thank God! But it still numb My son is a caregiver by occupation, and he is been here for me. Maybe he's enabled me to much? But I don't know how I could've went through this without him. I'm making lists of things I can accomplish when I get up. By the time I do three or four I'm hurting so much I have to sit down. I do my exercises and I would be fine with the hip surgery   If it wasn't for the nerve pain. I've had two surgeries in my life, and I'm 72. And have had nerve pain with both of them i'm happy to say that the nerve pain in my arm as left and I have full use of my arm after shoulder replacement. Also I can now put on my shoes and socks and tie my own shoes! Both replacements were on my left. And I can sleep on that side. So I am getting better. But I still am in worse pain than before surgery.

This person is fortunate to have you there. Bless you for helping.

• Posted

dear glynis

i am sorry about nerve damage 

wish you best

i know help & support after this major operation is necessary. i must try to return my patient to normal life & daily activity

• Posted

She should be able to wash herself now, at least from waist up and be able to walk about the house with crutches.  Every day she should lie on the bed and do the leg exercises she was given, or should have been given, but she should move about too as it helps the swelling in the legs and ankles, keeps the blood flowing and strenghtens the leg muscles.  She should not do any bending down and not to stand still for too long, but walking is fine.  If she sits to watch tv in the evening, she should get up during commercials and have a little walk round, that helps combat any stiffness.  Good luck to her.
    • Posted

many many thanks barbara.

she walks with walker maximum 15 min in day. rarely sit. all of the time lying on the bed.

i am looking for  ways to make her more active and more copper with op.

• Posted

Mojgan - one thing that I used to make me exercise was a pedometer.  I tried to make sure that I did at least as many steps as the day before.  Ok, sometimes there was a slight dip (eg the first days of a heavy cold when I felt very sorry for myself), but I made sure that I kept my 7 day average on the upward trail. 

To give you an idea, 5 days post op, I did 3 x 5 min walks and managed about 3k steps per day.  I gradually increased how much I walked and by Day 21, I was up to around 5k steps per day.  I then started to walk on more uneven ground and my steps went down as it was harder to walk. 

Now 11 weeks post op, I usually do around 6k steps per day and sometimes hit 7k. 

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi, I think being there helps alot its scary going threw surgery for the first few weeks she does need help your doing the right thing

Jackie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.