How long should an ankle take to heal?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm a 17 year old girl and I need advice on some problems I've been having with my ankle. About a month ago, I twisted my ankle at a volleyball practice. It hurt, but it wasn't particularly bad at the time. I've twisted my ankles many times before in my time playing volleyball, and it felt just like any of the other times. It was sore the next day, which was unsurprising. A couple days later it was still sore, but I just figured it was taking its time to resolve. I went to a school dance and other volleyball practices, as I can walk but it's uncomfortable. Now, a month later, I still can't point my toes on that foot and it's still very uncomforable to walk. My mother suggested turning the ankle, so I have been, but that increases the discomfort and it cracks very loudly each time I turn it. Last night, it hurt more than usual, and it was hard to fall asleep because there wasn't a position I could rest my leg that wasn't uncomfortable. As I've said, I've twisted my ankle many times before,but they've never taken this long to resolve. I used to wear braces on my ankles to prevent twisting, but this made my shins hurt very badly so I stopped. I haven't seen a doctor, but I'm just wondering how soon this should go away? Thank you.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It sounds like you have given it enough time to heal, as it has in the past, unless something else is going on.  Perhaps it's time to see your doctor and have an x ray.  After I twisted my ankle on stairs and fell on the 2 steps an x ray a week later revealed I broke a bone.  It was my 5th metatarsal, the foot bone that connects the ankle to the little toe.  The break was very close to the ankle.  Good luck in healing quickly.

• Posted

I agree, I think it’s time to see a dr — an orthopedic dr, if possible, and get an ex-ray, this way you can be treated appropriately.   You don’t want to have a nagging ankle injury at such a young age.
  • Posted

Yes to an orthopedist, that is who I went to see, but I had to be referred.  Good luck and let us all know how it goes for you.
  • Posted

Don't self diagnos. I think you should see a dr immediately. Stop turning and maneuving for now,until you know.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.