How long should I continue with support pillows in bed?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I'm now 14 days post op from my bunion op, everything going great, especially lack of pain! Been keeping my foot raised on pillows during the day & at night 90% of the time as per instructed. I'm assuming from now until my 6 week check I can gradually do more & keep my foot raised less & less, but how long should I keep my foot  raised on pillows in bed at night? Any thoughts? Thanks - this forum has been invaluable with all the input from fellow bunion sufferers 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi yes I would like to know the answer to that question as well. I am only 5 days post op but was wondering how long I need to keep my foot elevated at night. I was planning to ask consultant who I will see next Tuesday. It would just be nice to sleep with my foot horizontal again.
  • Posted

Hi Fiona,

I wanted to know this too! I had mine done 7 dsys ago so had my dressings changed today and was surprised with my foot! Very big incision but no swelling, bruising or much blood! The nurse said to just keep it elevated as much as possible for as long as possible to stop any swelling. I told her that I've literally been sitting in a chair with my leg raised all day and sleeping with it raised all day!! She said that is fine but to try and be more mobile. Hope that helps a bit!!

• Posted

Hi Beth, I've been keeping foot raised for 2 weeks, only v slight swelling now, think I need to keep going with pillows for now, good luck 
  • Posted

Hi Fiona, i am 17 days post op and still keep my foot raised at night on 2 pillows. I definately still need to do that to be comfortable.  I had my dressings changed last week at the hospital and was surprised at how little swelling there was. I was given spare dressings to change it the next time myself which I did today, and I just have a bit of swelling round the base of my big toe. Like you I am pain free and have been all the way through. I only elevate through the day when I sit down, which I don't do too much of. I went back to my office based job Monday and am coping well with that. I do elevate under the desk alternatively with putting it down as well. Unlike a lot of others I don't get that surge of pain when my foot is down. I have found this forum really informative and love reading about everyones experiences! Good luck with your recovery. Kind regards Sue
    • Posted

Thanks for that Sue, wow good for you being back at work already, I am on my feet all day - and night when night shift 😞, so don't plan going back to work for a while!! I'm just going to contine with the pillows at night & gradually do more each day, take it slowly, good luck with your continued recovery, Fiona 
  • Posted

Hi I am 3 weeks post op and kept my foot elevated up until last night.  keep it up further and your heart.  I had dressings changed today and no bruising  just a little bit of swelling.  I had a bunion removed and four hammer toes pinned.  I have been taking arnica for the bruising and extra calcium surgeon was happy no brusing and was impressed re the arnica lol !  have another four weeks before pins come out which apparently does not hurt just feels odd  good luck with your foot and keep it elevated as much as possible.  I did light housework second week into op, did a bit sat down bit more sat down, just pace yourself.
    • Posted

Jilly, thanks for that, I'm just going to keep the pillows for a while yet & see how it goes & as you say just do a wee bit more each day, hope it goes ok getting pins out, I just had bunion done so don't have that to think about, cheers Fiona
  • Posted

Hi Everyone, I had my operation done here in the UK 8 weeks ago and I still elevate my foot as often as I can and in bed I sleep on my back with my foot on two pillows. It takes quite a while for the swelling to go down completely; several months. The first two weeks post op, your foot should be elevated higher than heart level for most of the day - and definitely at bedtime. After having my foot being checked at 2 weeks I was shown how to do gentle physiotherapy to move the toes and foot. This is increased gradually over the following weeks. Don't put your full body weight on the foot until you are 6/7 weeks or when your surgeon gives you the go ahead. I had my left foot done so I couldn't drive the car until I could use the clutch pedal comfortably or wear my outdoor shoes until around 7 weeks. Now I am out and about shopping at the local supermarket etc. and have found things are becoming easier each day - although whenever my foot becomes swollen or aches, then it's back to sitting down with the foot elevated for an hour or so. Just take it easy and your patience will be rewarded. LadyPink
    • Posted

Hi Ladypink, all good advice thanks, I wasn't shown any excersises apart from ankle ones immediately after op. Have seen some on Internet like trying to pick up tissue with your toes & bending big toe up & down, I think I'll email my consultants secy to see if it's ok to do these, A bit worried about coping with 12 hour shifts when I go back to work!! Anyway wee bit down the line yet, baby steps!! Cheers, Fiona

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.