How long should I feel the effects of Olanzaipine

Posted , 3 users are following.

Feeling moodless and Empty.. my Thoughts are blocked and I just don’t know where to go or what to do.. how long do these side effects last and will I ever feel myself again 😓

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Are you starting or coming off of olanzapine? 
    • Posted

Just talking from personal experience, I was only on a 2.5mg dose for one month.  I was prescribed the med for migraines and wasn't told about any side effects or withdrawal.  When my medication ended, I was put on another migraine prevention.  My last dose was on 12/12/17.  I started sleeping less beginning about 10 days after my last dose.  Then the real withdrawal started.  I have never suffered from anxiety or depression, but began feeling both in extremes.  I had sweating both during the day and night especially in my hands and feet and a burning sensation down my chest, arms and fingers.  I went from sleeping 8 hours a night to getting 1-2 hours with thoughts racing through my mind.  During the day I couldn't function and just wanted to lay and sleep but could never really fall asleep.  I called my doctor who took me off of the new medication and wanted me to go back on olanzapine.  I was terrified to start the whole withdrawal process again.  She wanted to put me on another anti psychotic med which I refused after reading about the side effects and withdrawal.  I then went to a GP and explained everything that was happening.  I'm taking 10mg of prozac for anxiety and .5mg of klonopin to try to sleep.  I've never been on either before but it has helped to at least get a few hours of sleep.  I see her again next week to discuss where I am and my goal is to get off of the prozac first and then klonopin.

Long story, but to summarize, I'm 28 days off of olanzapine quitting cold turkey vs the recommended tapering (had I known I would definitely have tapered, but was not made aware of any type of withdrawal possibilities).  I was only on it at the lowest dose for one month, but am still having withdrawal.  It's getting better though.  I'm not sweating nearly as much, most of the burning has gone away and today has been the best day so far.  Fingers crossed that it continues to improve.  Also want to mention that I have lost my appetite and have no desire to eat so it's been important to get fluids and eat.  I've lost 15 pounds since I've stopped olanazapine and I wasn't big to begin with.  I was pretty dehydrated yesterday and my husband forced a ton of gatorade on me which made me feel better too.

I've just been taking it one day at a time and thinking that each day it will get a little better.  A number of forums and blogs have discussed supplements that may help too.  I take magnesium at night for migraines but have read that it also helps with sleep.  I'm going to start vitamin C too hoping that it will help with my energy levels.

• Posted

I was on zyprexa (initially 30 mg, 20 mg at night 10 mg in the day, then self decreased to 10 mg daily) for roughly 2 months until my psych switched me to abilify.  After taking abilify for roughly 3 weeks I cut the pill in half for a few days and decided I didn't want to become progressively worse so i stopped cold turkey.  I just had a bad feeling that the longer I took these drugs the harder it would be to come off of them or if even that was an option.  The psych kept telling me that I would most likely need to stay on the drugs at least 6 months, but that sounded like her just trying to get me hooked.

Anyways, the day I switched from zyprexa to abilify the insomnia started.  I've been off of zyprexa for roughly 5 and a half weeks now and off of abilify for 10 days.  The insomnia is still bad, I occasionally get a half nights sleep when I'm extremely exhausted but it's been hard.  Having been on zyprexa for only 2 months I would think the withdrawal symptoms would be more bearable but it seems like I am still being affected by this wicked drug.  I can say that I am feeling better than when I was on the drug.

Please let me know how you are faring now.  Thank you for listening and sharing any input you can.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.