How long should I give sertraline?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Sertraline for extreme anxiety. One week at 25mg, five weeks at 50mg, 4 days at 75mg. Very small positive impact so far. I have the option of continuing with Sertraline and upping the dose to 100mg in two weeks time or tapering off and swapping to pregabalin. Anyone got any views on what I shou;d do?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hello John, I think if your starting to see some positive changes with Sertraline, and can see it's becoming a growing benefit more than a negative at least with side effects, then maybe continue onto the 100mg for 2weeks if you feel ready and review after that?? Why stop and change meds just yet, if your already noticing a small positive benefit on your current dosage?? Iv also read good reviews about the pregbabalin aswell...  maybe someone whos taken both of these can offer you more advice than I can... but Im sure you'll make the right decision, just a pain we have to give these things time to work, an not have the immediate effects we hope for.

Good Luck!!

• Posted

For me Sertraline has been fantastic, I've been taking it nearly 1 year I've felt my best in the past 3 months but noticed improvements from 4 weeks and started on 50mg increased to 100 after 4 weeks then upped to 125 8 weeks after, the correct dose for me is 125mg. Your dose doesn't seem to be very settled so you could still be suffering side effects and also not quite reached your correct dose . I would personally get to a dose where you stop having the anxiety and normal side effects associated with increased dose, sickness increased anxiety then give it a good few months to settle and start working for you. Unfortunately it's not a quick process feeling better kind of creeps up on you then all of a sudden notice how good you feel. Good luck x 

• Posted

I’ve been on Zoloft since July 10th and I’m currently at 62.5 mg and that seems to be my spot for now. I stayed at this dose and my ah ha moment was at the 12 week mark. It was a long road but I knew it was working by the first week It started by reducing that doom and gloom feeling from anxiety that I hated so much. I refused to go on a different medication due to going thru side effects again and chance it never worked at all. So my suggestion is to stick it out for a few more weeks at your current dose, they say give each up dose 4 weeks for full effects, so I would wait before you bump up. That’s my opinion. I’ve read that doctors are so eager to bump the AD’s up so fast when you start them and then you suffer the severe side effects from it. My doctor left me go at a small slow pace and I’m so glad or I would’ve suffered like so many on here does from doctors increasing to such high levels before they even got time to work. Just my opinion. Everyone is different. Mine is working at 62.5. I can go up if I need to but I’m sticking with it for now. It works for me. I think 75mg is a good dose as well. I would try to stay there a little longer. 
    • Posted

Thanks for sharing your experience Dawn. I'm on week 2.5 at 50mg and still feeling pretty low and totally unmotivated even to get out of bed. If I know it's another couple of weeks for some improvement then I can carry on but God it's tough going x

• Posted

I've been on it for just over 2 weeks ~ 2 weeks and 3 days. The total desolation that I was feeling before is lifting slightly but I'm definitely not where I want to be with it. ... I don't want to see anyone, go anywhere or do anything and it's a horrible feeling. Any advise gratefully received x

• Posted

I felt the same way for awhile. I stayed home or stayed close to my husband during the day while he was at work. I would stay at his work cuz I was scared to be alone. It is a very scary feeling and I feel for you. But if you have the slightest bit of improvement, give it time before you go up on your dose. My doctor said she didn’t want me any higher than I needed to be and only if necessary to go to 75mg but I’m comfortable right now at 62.5. I have always started with half doses when upping my medicine and it’s helped keep side effects to a minimum. Since I hit my 12 weeks just a few weeks ago, I also started taking magnesium and I started it also with halfing my dose. It has helped me so much feeling better when I wake in the mornings, mind you I wasn’t sleeping maybe 2-3 hours before the magnesium, now I’m sleeping anywhere from 5-8 hours depending on the day and I’m so thankful for that. It helps me look forward to my day now. It helps with the anxiety and my aches and pains even my headaches. Anyways, give the Zoloft a good 6-8 weeks to take effect at the dose you’re on and I think you will be happy with the outcome. Consider the Magnesium Glycinate as well. I got mine from amazon. Kal is the brand name. Check it out and read the reviews and I guarantee you will be curious. I was skeptical as I am with all medicine, but it started helping me the first day. I couldn’t believe it. Good luck and keep in touch 
    • Posted

Hello Maria... 

Iv not eally got much advice to offer at the moment, but just wanted to let you know your not on your own. Im currently at 2wks 5days on 50mg and have found it tough going the last couple of days... but hang in there, hopefully well see some benefits soon 🌹

• Posted

Thank you so much Dawn. I was recommended to take magnesium and zinc also. Thank you so much for replying it is so good not to feel so alone in this x
    • Posted

Thank you Rose ~ Yes hanging in there is what I'm doing at the moment. Hugs ~it's good to know we're in the same boat x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.