How Long Should I Wait To See A Doctor...

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, I'm a 48 year old female and for the past two months, I've experienced a change to my bowel habits but only in that the consistency of my stool has become 'mushy'.   I have no pain, no bleeding and the frequency of my bowel movements is the same.   I've googled so many things about bowel cancer and I just don't know whether this is an IBS thing (I haven't been diagnosed with IBS but suspect I may have it very mildly) or whether I should see a doctor.  Has anyone else had this experience?  

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nicola57925

When in doubt see a professional- (your GP) and tell him of your symptoms /fears etc.

He may suggest a colonoscopy or may not ?

It's not good guessing what is wrong (googling is not good because it makes you think the worst).

Go and speak to your doc.

Best regards

Susan

• Posted

I agree with Susan, there are so many different things capable of causing the symptom that you describe.  Seeing a professional is the only way to sort out which of the causes it may be.  Generally speaking, the sooner you see a professional the better: if it is a significant problem then a rapid diagnosis will result in the best outcome, if it is a minor problem then your mind will be put at rest sooner.
  • Posted

Hi. If you think something has changed, please go and get checked. I had virtually no symptoms, but had a very slight intermittent pain + very minor bowel changes - My doctor didn't mess about. As I seldom went to the docs, she referred me straight away - turned out to be stage 1 cancer. All sorted now, but a colonoscopy is the only way to be sure. Remember just 15% of people are diagnosed with stage 1 cancer. The remaining 85% are diagnosed at a later stage. If your doctor absolutely refuses to refer you for a colonoscopy, I'd be thinking about going privately. If there is somethingthere it will be found, if there isn't you have 100% peace of mind.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.