How long should it take for an increase in dose to make you feel better?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Took my first 45mg tablet last night. I had been on 30mg for 9weeks and although in general it had helped...it didn't do enough. I'm not expecting to wake up tomorrow and it be fine, but just curious as to how long you should leave it before deciding it's not for you. Do you have to give it about a month like when you first start on tablets? Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I'm taking 30mg at the moment, but only for a week now. I'm already feeling a bit better and increase in vivid dreams. Only take the recommended dosage by your doctor.
  • Posted

Just replied to your question on other thread, if the 30mg helped but just wasn't enough my situation was the same, the 45mg should work ok although I know everyone is different it worked for me so fingers crossed for you!
  • Posted

Thanks Alan. Just read your reply on the other thread. That's reassuring to know. Thank-you. I'm generally so much better than where I was before mirtazapine...but the 30mg still didn't allow me to completley feel comfortable...I have too much time on my hands at the moment too..which certainly doesn't help anxiety!!
  • Posted

Just read your other post on other thread and I was the same as you massive insomnia was taking Citalopram and also Nitrazepam for sleep I was on these for year then they stopped working so doctor tried me on loads of different combinations including Amitryptiline which none of them worked, finally the Mirtazapine is doing the job
  • Posted

That's good to hear it's working for you smile I'm hoping I will have some success soon. I'm only 22, and this is my first bout of depression/anxiety. It's been a real eyeopener as I've suffered for about 7months now which seems a lifetime! It's mainly anxiety that's my problem....if I had depression, it's only mildly..from suffering from the anxiety. Citalopram was awful...I lasted 5days on which I had 0 hours sleep over the 5days...made my mental state so much worse considering the trigger for my breakdown was insomnia! lol
  • Posted

Good luck and fingers crossed it works, you should certainly sleep well on the 45mg if you know you need to be up early then take them for around 8-9pm so your not mashed in the morning, you will feel quite drowsy for first couple of weeks but don't worry it doesn't last I can get up at 5am now and feel ok soon afterwards I've been on them for a year now
  • Posted

Ohh I'm quite a tough cookie in regards to the sedation! Even the 30mg didn't knock me out! I would take at 10pm and stay up until 11.30pm and still manage to wake through the night if my son needed me, or at 6am when he comes crashing into our room! I have started taking my 45mg dose at 9pm though as I was unsure of how it would affect me. Last night I had a bit of trouble getting to sleep... but think that was because I worked myself up about taking the 45mg dose! It only took me 3days on the 30mg before I didn't feel like a zombie in the morning too!

Even this morning I got up with no problems....although my hubby did let me have a lay in! Its the one major positive of mirtazapine, knowing that it promotes natural sleep in comparison to zopiclone. Whilst I was taking citalopram...not even a zopiclone helped me get to sleep. So I'm really hoping this 45mg will do the trick as I can't bare to think about trying anything else!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.