How long should it take for PPI to relieve symptoms?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I’ve had abdominal pain for two months, went to the doctors office last month and doc took a few different blood tests and urea breath test, all of which came back normal. He said it was likely an ulcer based on symptoms and prescribed pantoprazole which I’ve been on for 1 month now and have felt no change. Should I have seen improvements by now? Could he have misdiagnosed this? Sorry for overreacting, I’ve never had an ulcer before and never stomach pain that lasted this long and am just ready to feel normal again. I’d be extremely grateful for any advice. Thank you!

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Some additional information; I’ve been having what feels like mild menstrual cramps for these two months. When it first started I had loose stools and occasionally still get them and sometimes get terrible gas pains. (tmi, sorry) I have a general ‘unwell’ feeling that’s hard to explain in my stomach 24/7, Mild appetite loss, occasional stabbing pains in right side of abdomen, and probably unrelated but I suddenly have horrible car sickness every time I go somewhere when I would only rarely get it before. I’ve also had dizzy spells that seem to have stopped but were happening everyday for about a week. Sorry for the slew of information, I lost my insurance and can’t take my worries up with a doctor now...I’m a bit scared it could be something serious.  
  • Posted

hi, please ask doctor to test you for h pylori. In which case you might need antibiotics in addition to ppi
    • Posted

Hi, I was tested last month and didn’t have it. could it have been false negative? I no longer have insurance so I’m pretty much stuck right now. Thank you for the reply! 
  • Posted

I had an issue with h pylori and it took much longer than 2 months for my stomach pain issues to resolve. Was worried about stomach cancer and everything else under the sun so I feel your pain. Had to take two rounds of antibiotics before the pain went away and even then had reflux for months afterwards.  NSAIDS (like aspirin) also can cause ulcers so be careful with that. You can also try an alkaline diet (you can find articles on google) for a few weeks.

• Posted

That’s where I’m worried, h pylori test came back negative and I seldom take NSAIDS so I’m concerned the doc could’ve misdiagnosed me. Maybe I’m just paranoid 
  • Posted

Do you feel nausea? Besides your stomach pain? And bloatness? Sounds like it’s gonna be a ulcer, try and relax stressing out just produces more acid in your stomach if you do have a ulcer it’s only gonna irritate your stomach linings more, I know easier said then done, going through it for a few months now.
    • Posted

Yes definitely. Though, now I’m unsure if it’s ulcer pain or a side effect. I ran out of PPIs yesterday and I’ve felt even more awful ever since. I don’t know if the ulcer didn’t heal or if it’s just acid rebound..was on 40 mg and had to just stop taking them abruptly. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.