How long to feel the first dose of citalopram?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

How soon have people felt any side effects from their first dose of citalopram? (or escitalopram) 1 hour / 2 hours - later that day or not until they have had it for 2/3 days??

regards C

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I felt so good the first few days then about day 4 or 5 started to get spacey, and more anxious.
    • Posted

Hi - when did the anxiety resolve? Did you have an anxiety disorder to start with? I have terrible anxiety so am very worried about any increase. How did you deal with the increase in anxiety?
    • Posted

Caroline, I am on 10 mg and I was prescribed it for anxiety and panic attacks. They've gotten worse for me since starting the med, I think part of it is me worrying about the side effects and really focusing in on the spaced out, light headed feeling it gives me. I get anxious and sweaty palms and feet. I have decided to take in the evening and my pharmacist suggested that I taper so I just took at noon and tomorrow I will take in the evening and see how I feel during the day. This is day 13, and I'm hoping to turn a corner soon. I take .25 xanax twice a day to get through and it helps some but makes me tired. Ugh. Just know you're not alone. I am also staying home from work this week. There is no way I could drive around (I'm in sales) and meet with people face to face. 
  • Posted

Hi Caroline here - just to add I have started on a very low dose and a planning to increase gradually.
    • Posted

I had my side effects right from the word go. But everyone is different. Does ease after a few weeks smile
    • Posted

What were your side effects and did they gradually subside or did you just wake up one day and think "I feel better?"?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.