How long to recover After Ascending Aneurysm, arch repair and aorta valve replacement

Posted , 6 users are following.

Had surgery November 1, 2016 and am still having pains and shortness of breath.  How are others progressing after surgery?  I'm 71 female and know it will take my body longer to heal but want to compare to what otheres are experiencing.  Also, has anyone been diagnosed with more aneurysms after surgery?  Thank you.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I had surgery in November 2015 and i am slowly feeling better. I walk every day and go to pilates to try and get fitter but I am no where near how fit I was before surgery.

?I am male & 65 years old. every time I get a twynge in my tummy I worry about the anyurisum graft and I have ended up in A&E a few times on false alarms. I think it is my mind playing tricks.

• Posted

Glad I'm not the only one!  I haven't gone to ER after  2 weeks after surgery, but have sharp, burning pains in my chest.  They eventually go away, but I wonder the same thing about the grafts.  Sugeon said if bad pain stays for an hour, go to ER.  But, gee, you are over a year out and still have pains??  So sorry.  But, that is the info I'm looking for....how long before a somewhat normal life.  Thanks and hope you continue to heal.

• Posted

I had surgery replacing the ascending aorta and arch (plus a double bypass) in June 2015 at the age of 52. Pre-surgery I had experienced no symptoms at all so inevitably post-surgery I felt worse. My rehab was successful, thanks in no small part to my own motivation, and I was walking up to six miles a day within a month of my discharge from hospital. Some 20  months later I still feel a strain in my sternum, particularly when lifting items of a medium weight and when I recently did some (very) moderate swimming. Also experience brief discomfort across chest and down the arm (not connected with strenuous exercise I might add) which disappears almost as soon as it arrives and a gnoring pain in the base of my skull and neck occasionally. Whether either are post operative crosses I have to bear after nine hours of surgery or the pains are totally unconnected, who knows? I think in general I'm a little less confident in my choice of exercise regime. I opt to go out walking where previously I was a keen cyclist who was capable (probably still am) of riding distances of 60 miles or more. I think I am also a little conscious of every little ache and pain, even though in reality I'm fit and well and have little, if anything, to worry about.

• Posted

I had an aortic dissection June 2013 and have the same symptoms. Necks spasms, back spasms etc. I also walked tried other work out and became terrified of certain things I was feeling. I have a very high tolerance for pain but have a gnawing pain in chest always. I've come to the conclusion that I probably won't reach 60 yrs old (I'm 50) and try not to think to much about it. I have pats about going to the doctors or e.r. they always poke and prod, give me cat scans etc. I'm not afraid of death but every ache and pain feels like the end. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

• Posted

I had a type B aortic dissection plus a Corotid artery stenting on August 2nd , had a mini stroke while in hospital, but recovered .

8 months later I am still very tired, sleep half the day, ache all over, and get neck and left shoulder spasms .am trying to get back to work as an RGN but get dizzy when exerting myself . Oh yes, I have Atrial Fibrillation which is uncontrolled .

Am on about 10 tablets for BP, heart rate, pain killers etc

I was really fit when I suddenly got the band of pain accross by back and chest . Had to drive me from Maidstone hospital to St Thomas' where I had my operation the same day .

I'm a Cardiac nurse , but no one knows how long all this tiredness and pain is going to last . Sometimes I feel like giving up , but my wife keeps me going .

Will it ever get better ??

• Posted

I'm 44 and had my operation on an emergency, it started off with the pin like sensations going from my chest up through my throat/jaw with pain. I ended up in one hospital and had to be helicoptered to another hospital. Ended up having a 12hr surgery, basically my valve had ripped itself from the heart, & ended up with a couple of minor strokes. I stayed in the hospital for almost 2 weeks.

I had used a fair amount of cocaine and Meth from my mid early teens to my early 20s, and heavy drinking til I was about 41, to add to the madness I have had a job where it was frequent heavy lifting for the last 11yrs and I probably didn't have a healthy prostate for the last 8yrs, eating a lot of sodium and high cholesterol thinking I was Super Man never going to see the doctor regularly and most likely running high BP my last days up until the ER.

It's been about 80 days now and I probably don't walk as much as I should, I take rest if I am not feeling right (mostly light headed) or sternum/chest discomfort. I have been out for a couple of bike rides but only on flat paths while taking it extremely easy, I am capable of walking an hour and a half & I do focus on keeping my breathing relaxed and my heart rate down, I am in no hurry to push myself.

I'm trying to get in an outpatient cardiac rehab, but I have a feeliing that the insurance will deny my coverage.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.