How long to wait?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi. I have just found out that I have a medium sized ovarian cyst. It showed up on an MRI of my back and was confirmed by a pelvic and TV ultrasound last week. It is probably dermoid, as some solid matter is visible. Blood tests are normal for C125 and inflammation, a bit high for CA 199. I didn't have any symptoms but now am uncomfortable and a bit nauseous, but maybe that is imagination. I know this is very minor compared with some of your stories, but I just want it out asap! I am 51 and perimenopausal, and this just feels like an extra load of complications when things are already beginning to change and get confusing.Now on a 2 week wait to see the gyno. Do you think they will agree to remove it, or keep me waiting for months. I find the uncertainty and anxiety really hard and just feel exhausted. I also want to consider HRT but can't while this is around. Thanks!

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I believe if you express your concern and simply request for it to me removed they will oblige. I'm only 35 and I have an appointment with my gyn today and I am going to request to remove my whole ovary. I've had cyst off and on for 15 years and recently it's caused so many problems.

I think considering all the factors your doctor should agree with your wishes. If not, be sure to ask for a second opinion.

Best of luck to you!!!

• Posted

Hi Thanks for your thoughts. yes, all I can do is say how I feel and let them think what they want! I hope you get heard too.
  • Posted

Mary how large is the cyst? You may find that after menopause cysts will resolve, however if it is large enough they will want to remove it. Good luck and deep breaths. 
    • Posted

At the moment it's only 6 cm and I still can't find it by poking around! i guess it's the thought of what those dermoid cysts can contain. ot a good idea to google them! They said it could be an endometrial cyst but I doubt it as I've not had endo as far as I know. Thanks.
  • Posted

Mary, I've had them up to 5-6.5cm and was verrry uncomfortable, my doctor schedule MRI and was planning to remove, but after my next cycle it was gone. It also was not only fluid, had some stuff inside, they weren't sure what. So you may be able to spare your self surgery if you give it some time. But definitely get regular Ultra sounds to monitor size. For a while I had them every other month, each of which resolved (not sure where they go or how it happens) before I had to have surgery. So I lucked out. 
    • Posted

Hi Heather. Thanks, this is helpful to know. I've had it for at least 2 months now, so we'll see what they say.
  • Posted

Hey Mary

Like I've said to a few people on here YOU know your body more than anyone else your feeling the pain not them!

I got rushed to A&E twice within hours of eachother ! The first time they sent me away with a severe kidney and urine infection... 4-5 hours later I was in a major injuries department being dosed up on morphine because they had missed out on my CT scan that I had a large cyst on my right ovary! My dermoid cyst was 11x10x10 cm the size of a large orange... So compared to my ovary it was large lol! My dermoid had teeth and hair strands in it! I had a lot of torsion ! Which was causing me pain some where I was doubled over like I was in labour! They discharged me a day later! To then get admitted by my doctor because she was unhappy with how I was treated and could clearly see how much pain I was in! I had my ovary removed a week and half later! Please just keep pushing for answers and ask your options! They worse thing they can say is no!

Good luck and let me know how you get on xxx

Stacey xxx

• Posted

Thanks for sharing this Stacey, and sorry you had to go through all that. Sounds like you have a good GP - unbelievable they could miss that on a scan!
    • Posted

That's ok my lovely anything to put people's minds at rest xx

Hope your ok and aren't in too much pain? Just remember you know your body the best! Xxx

Keep me updated xxxx

• Posted

I had both my ovaries tubes and a 7.5 cm cyst removed in August. It was the best decision I have ever made. I also had a d&c because my uterine lining was thicker than it should have been since I was shown to be in menopause. I am 51 and my doctor refuses to give HRT to anyone my age. Although my only complaint is the hot flashes, since my surgery I am no longer bloated, have lost at least 7 pounds and I feel the best I have felt in ten years. I had the surgery laparoscopically and was in by 10:30 and home on the couch relaxing by 12:30. Recovery was a breeze and one month in I could not even tell I had surgery. Good luck to you.
    • Posted

Thanks SHeri, that is so reassuring. I don't need both ovaries now (!) and at least I'd know what was menopause and what was from the cyst, if they went ahead. Still waiting for the appointment though, so fingers crossed.
  • Posted

Hi Mary,

I'm 53 post menopausal, and my ob felt a mass when doing my exam, and i had weight loss, feeling full after a few bites, abdominal pressure (bad) and peeing alot, and lower back pain, plus a family history of breast and colon cancer, the ultrasound revealed a complex cyst on my rt ovary, becaue of symptoms and history, she sent me to gyn/oncologist, he was an ass, 1st thing he said, was "i don't even know why she sent you here"..we waited almost 3 months, back in today, repeat ultrasound, its' still there, and has grown a little, i told her, i want them out, shes totally on board, for me, its the pain i'm in 24/7 and with the family history, and i'm not ever having kids, what do i need them for ? leaving them in, just leaves me open to get ovarian cancer down the line, i LOVE my ob/gyn, she is so supportive and caring, told me all the risks but also agrees with what i'm doing.

Best of luck to you please keep us posted on your progress.

Peggy from Ohio

• Posted

Hi Peggy

Things are moving quite fast for me now. I saw a member of the gyno oncologist's team last week. She ordered another MRI scan which I had yesterday, and I'm waiting for an upper body CT scan in the next week or so. Then they will review everything and see me. But they will definitely remove the cyst, and pretty soon, I think. They are going fast track because of my age and menopausal stage, not because it is too serious. But they haven't ruled out malignancy. Like you I just want it out! I hope you get yours seen to soon too.

love mary x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.