How long to wait for a colonoscopy?

Posted , 12 users are following.

I went to my GP after seeing blood on my stools. She got me an appointment to see a Dr at the local hospital in just over two weeks (the national guidelines). I saw a 3rd year medical student at the hospital who relayed my condition to the doctor and he said that I needed a colonoscopy and that an appointment would be sent to me. That was over two weeks ago. How long does one usually wait and should I be chasing this up with my GP or someone else?

1 like, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I would contact the hospital that you saw the medical student at, as the hospital should have been in touch by now. Perhaps, he has not followed the correct protocol or has not organised the appointment.  

As has already been said, you must put your health first, don't be afraid to speak up.

i hope everything goes alright for you. 

• Posted

I didn't even see consultant after referral from GP, Hospital phoned to arrange colonoscopy which was done within a week. Got results there & then too. 
  • Posted

it's the same with everything   the waiting lists are just getting longer and longer.  TheNHS can't cope with the amount of people in the country.. The sooner the government realises this the better
  • Posted

Hi,

I had this problem in 2005 and there were small patches of bright red blood mixed in. Naturally one panics when one sees this, but i had no pain in passing stools. Everything else was normal. I saw my GP that week and he referred me to the hospital to have a sigmoidoscopy. A week later I had my appointment and the whole procedure only took about 10 minutes and was completely painless. It turned out the blood was caused by haemorrhoids so it was just a minor problem which ceased after about 2 weeks.

I would recommend a sigmoidoscopy first as it is far less intrusive than the full colonoscopy which can take 45 minutes, needs a 24 hour diet and laxative preparation beforehand and can be far more uncomfortable than examination of the sigmoid.

Most colon problems, including cancer occur in the sigmoid area. So I would opt for the sigmoidoscopy first unless your consultant thinks otherwise, and you should ask him why if that's the case.

• Posted

i have been waiting 3 weeks since i saw someone at the hospital so not sure how long it takes, i didnt have blood in my stools, but have been told by my own gp that he is assuming its cancer (very scary)
    • Posted

Did he feel a tumor during his examination? If so you should have been fast tracked and seen within two weeks. I hope that your final diagnosis is not that.
    • Posted

I never really had an examination apart from the guy at the hospital stuck is finger up my bum then a tube that was it!!! can you imagine the worry from the comment like that I have already priced up for a funeral and am decluttering while i am well enough and wondering how long i have left feeling pretty desperate at the moment surviving with imodium as thats all i have to stop the constant diarohea now over 9 weeks
    • Posted

Hi christine.  I do hope you get your appointment very soon, but try not to be too worried by what your doctor said.   My GP only  told me she'd arrange a hospital appointment  then a week later I had a letter from the surgery (preprinted) saying I was being sent to test for cancer!

I tried to think positive and decided that way I would get a quick appointment rather than be stuck in a queue for months.

Government guidelines (early prevention) mean you should get a fast appointment, so try not to be scared of what your doctor said, to be on the safe side he is 'fast-tracking' you and that is all good.

J x

• Posted

Sounds like you had a sigmoidoscopy when you were at the hospital. I presume your GP has given you the information he received from that examination. But until you've had a colonoscopy and biopsy nothing is certain. The fact that that there is no blood in your stools is a positive sign.

I would pester your GP to find out when your colonoscopy is due. Better still, ring up the hospital (colorectal unit) who carried out your sigmoidoscopy. Reminf them of your situation. They should automatically have booked you in for a colonoscopy after their initial finding. Ideally you should not have to wait more than 2 weeks from that time although it varies from which Trust you come under.. Let us know what happens

• Posted

The tube was probably a Sigmoidoscope to see into your colon. It does not see very far so he has asked for the colonoscopy. If our daughter had been sent for a colonoscopy after her Sigmoidoscopy did not reveal anything her outcome would have been different.

Difficult I know but try not to worry until much later. Colon cancer is still quite rare. I've had several scares and barium X-Rays and colonoscopies have been clear.

• Posted

I have had diarohea now for 10 weeks gp doesnt seem to be helping me i saw someone at the hospital 3 weeks ago and have heard nothing, what is the longest you have to wait to see someone
    • Posted

I had similar symptoms - but mine over the past two years. I paid in the end to see a consultant, and even then I didn't hear back about an appointment for about 3 months. 
    • Posted

Private does not alway mean fast treatment now that so many are treading that path. And who do you see an NHS consultant at his out of hours job at another hospital. 

At one time seeing one privately got you on to his NHS list as a queue jumper but that no longer happens.

• Posted

Hi Christine, What was the outcome on your problem ?

It is helpful to others if you let them know.

• Posted

The outcome was i have a rectocele prolapse causing all the problems but i dont know what they are going to do about it been waiting for months for an appointment its terrible how they keep you waiting
    • Posted

It would be a great relief to get that diagnosis and not cancer.

It sounds an uncomfortable thing to have and still to be kept waiting.

I read up on it on the Mayo website and this was one reason for it that you cannot avoid:-)

"Walking upright places weight on a woman's pelvic floor and is the main reason women experience posterior prolapse" 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.