How long to wait for a colonscopy

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a bout of diarohea for about 12 weeks basically 3 months and was sent for an appointment to the hospital, that was back in April I have an appointment in October for  the refferall for a colonscopy, thats 6 months and the doctor told me back in April to assume i have cancer, wow i could be dead then by the time october comes thats NHS for you.  thankfully my diarhorea has got bit better altho stomach still feels dodgy

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

omg that's rediculous. I was seen within two weeks though there was blood in the stool. I would certainly push for an earlier Appointment
  • Posted

oh dear that is not acceptable-how sad the NHS is under such strain-and so many people are put at risk...Good luck with the rest of the 'journey'..Best wishes to you
  • Posted

Wow change your GP first off no doctor should just assume you have cancer without the specific tests and results as that is not going to help you deal with the stress of the stomach/gut problems you already have.

i went to the doctors in January for mucus in my stools and blood and was told that I had H-Pylori did my course of antibiotics and felt no different so after 3 stool samples and a blood test the Dr said the findings show nothing sinister ie I had no occult bleeding in my stool,no bacteria,bloods were fine no anaemia,Inflamation levels fine etc. but I pushed for one more stool test and was told my Inflamation was 256 from 33 in the stool test the week earlier. I pushed for a colonsocopy and got one for August which I was not happy with so I argued my point with the GP and got one a month earlier so I would try and get seen quicker through your GP.

• Posted

Hi christine,

That is unacceptable.   Please go back to your GP and get an earlier appointment for a colonoscopy.   I understood that the NICE guidelines say if there is a risk of cancer you will be seen within 2 weeks !    6 months wait is unbelievable.

It's all down to your GP, and if he has said that to you (though don't worry too much  it probably isn't cancer) he should have fast-tracked you.

If necessary see another doctor - sadly we do have to stand up for ourselves with our health,.  All good wishes to you, let us know how you get on

x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.