How long to wait for Heller's Myotomy?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, due to lack of food/water intake I was admitted to my local hospital. This resulted in an endoscopy and barium swallow which confirmed Achalasia. I had suspected this for a long time, but sometimes the diagnostic wheels turn quite slowly... I've since been discharged and I'm on the list for a Heller's Myotomy.

I was wondering typically how long people waited on the NHS between opting for the surgical route and actually getting the operation?

Cheers.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi David

I have to admit, I was covered by private medical insurance which covered the op, so I only had a short period of time to wait.I do feel for you as I was at the point where I was not keeping anything down - as you have already been admitted to hospital, you may get the appointment quicker.  Good luck

• Posted

Hi David,

I was diagnosed with Achalasia in Feb 2005 and had my op under the NHS in August the same year. Hope that helps :-)

• Posted

I would get the heller myotomy as soon as possible. I had mine the same year I was diagnosed. It can get worse and more difficult to treat if you wait too long. I did mine in 2010, I had a partial wrap. It was the best decision I ever made. Best wishes to you!
  • Posted

Thanks everyone who commented. I would like the operation as soon as possible, especially as we're going on holiday in July, but judging by the response I doubt it will be done by then. Unless of course I end up being re-admitted....

Will see what the next few months holds I guess.

Thanks again.

• Posted

In case the operation is near that date, it took me some 2 months to recover properly - the first month was very painfull but I did have a full stomach wrap.
  • Posted

Hellow David,

I waited 10 months for the operation  after being diagnosed, all under the National Health.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.