how long to wait please?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all, good to see that i'm not alone! there is a big lack of understanding at how awful gallstones are. i was diagnosed 2 weeks ago after having pains, sickness, fainting, sweating, extreme tiredness, heart attack feeling, panic attacks and generally thinking i was dying!

I'm going to get the little bugger removed and am on the waiting list. Could i get some feedback as to how long people have had to wait for it, and their recovery time afterwards? thanku

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

took 6 months from diagnosis to surgery ( had to have 3 lots of ERCP first!) i hope you get the little buggers sorted sooner!!!
  • Posted

Yeah youll wait about six to nine months, in a few weeks ask your GP to write to the hospital / doctor to make sure youve got a proper place on the list. Itll take somewhere between a few weeks and the rest of your life to fully recover smile
  • Posted

ummm a long time in my case (i think it varies) if i hadnt have annoyed the hospital as much as i did it would have been 12 months from diagnosis to op as it was it was 10/11 months, bhut having said that i think most hospitals are not as slow as mine was,
  • Posted

three weeks now since op.and at last begining to feel better,the tiredness is still a big problem. although you only have to remember what the pain was like to get your head around it. still sorting out my fat free diet,its betterto have small meals every two to three hours, it seems to be 4 to 7 weeks for recovery is anyone else having bloating after meals. also how many weeks after op,should you leave it before you fly. regards...
  • Posted

I had 2 weeks signed off but another week because it was the xmas holidays and i was right as rain by then, i am strong like bull though, good luck!
  • Posted

hi Leanne

I had my gallbladder out 4 weeks ago. The op went well and i was allowed home 2 days after surgery. The first week home it was still very painful and trying to sleep on my side hurt. Getting up and moving around was uncomfortable. It gets easier each day but be prepared not to be doing much. Don't lift anything heavy and even doing things like taking the washing off the clothes line can leave you wishing you didnt. Do as little as possible.

4 weeks later I find that Im still taking it easy, however I find now driving the car makes it a little painful but other normal duties are ok.

I have gone back to my normal eating habits (good or bad) and find nothing upsets me. That was a relief. Im told that can have different effects. I only tried one thing each day so if something did react I knew what it was and would then know what to avoid.

Remember that although its key hole surgery, its still an operation and it takes time to fully recover. Be patient.

Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.