How long to walking normally?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am 12 weeks post op from ankle fusion and Achilles stretched. How long from the point of starting weight bearing to being able to walk normally? My doctor says about 3 weeks and I don't believe him!!!My ankle and heal are still swollen and bruised.

My brother in law had a similar surgery with out the tendon work and his surgeon said 2 months. This is a crazy discrepancy in the two docs. Can anyone tell me how long it took them ? Was it painful? I put my foot down in my x-ray today and it hurt a lot.

How long to go up and down stairs as well.

Look forward to hearing from some of you ahead of me on this journey.

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

The fact that the Doctor told you that you were able to stand does not mean it wasn't going to be painful. You are going to have pain for a bit, even during physical therapy you will suffer pain in different areas. You need to understand that your entire leg was immobilized so many muscles, ligaments and such need to recover their flexibility and other areas need to regenerate and adapt to the new structure. 

You will also suffer inflammation (and that equals to pain) which is normal for such an intervention. Don’t worry, the worse is over and in no time you’ll be walking with no pain.

The Doctor will probably have you take some anti-inflammatory pills (if he has not prescribed them yet). Such “counter measures” will help alleviate the pain, in the case you are not taking “pain killers”.

• Posted

Thanks Phoenix,

I just started weight bearing , but my doc wants me to take it real slow . I still have to use the support of the crutches and wear wLking boot for a month. I'm allowed about 50% weight for the first two weeks. Yes some pain and purple toes and throbbing, but I'm in my eating to walking.

• Posted

Hi Margie

I can imagine u must be frustrated - it has been a long time u have been non weight bearing- and it feels like enough already especially as u read about others being allowed to weight bear so much sooner than you.

I don't know the answer to your question of how long before you will walk normally - but I suspect you will b in a much better place three weeks after you start weight bearing than now -but it seems as I read others stories there will still be challenges and frustrations ahead as we can't control the speed of our recovery... but also joys at the slow steady improvement.

I think you see your doctor tomorrow - Good luck!! Please let us know the outcome..

• Posted

Yeah I can weightbear at last but light weight weight with cast on for another month. I can take cast off to shower and sleep and do excercises. He wants me to take it really slow as there was still some healing around bone graftti fill in. Next appt schedule plate removal in one month. He was surprised that it still had quite a bit of swelling and of course he ripped off all my scabs so it's bleeding again- yuck. My crooked foot is now in perfect alignment though. I know I got a way to go but at least progress is being made. He said nerve pain should really dissapate with movement. He warned my to not over do and use crutches still to support with cast at this point. So I hope Marge and others with appts coming up , Good luck

• Posted

Margie thanks for sharing where u r .

It does sound like u are starting on the road of

recovery-finally taking steps. I'm glad.-

Some days Im more content and trust this healing process - other days it's hard to b patient and trust the process.

Please keep sharing.

• Posted

Hi Margie

I finally got the go ahead to start weight bearing. I am just thrilled!!!

I have been finding myself feeling real jealousy as I observe people walking lately- or simply able to wear shoes. I feel I will begin to slowly be able to join the human race again!!!

I was told I will need a minor surgery to remove 1 of my screws a few months but it would not require downtime.

Just wanted to share that.

Marge

• Posted

Great to hear Marge. Are you still in the cast ? I'm doing pretty good walking with cast and crutches at about 50% wb. I tire really easy and it does swell and throb. I can only walk with it about 5 min at a time, so baby steps. Got my cold therapy machine in the evening .

Have fun onthe road to walking.

Margie

• Posted

I am in a boot - and have taken some steps- with boot -feels very tender burning and throbbing but not concerned for now and will try not to overdo it- ice and take meds as needed.

Will get a minor surgery a few months down the road to remove 1 screw that is in a tricky area.

Please keep me posted on your rehab!!

• Posted

I have to have a plate out on the top of my foot I can feel it and it has started to bruise around that area maybe caused from the walking and movement. I can do about 5 min of walking then pretty tired. I go at it short bursts.

😉 Good luck!

Margie

• Posted

Margie,

I am getting on recumbent bike at gym on low level today to get leg muscles use to moving and will start physical therapy tomorrow.

How did you hurt your ankle- do u have any help?

• Posted

I had a bone deformity from birth and arthritis got into joints, so I was limping and swelling. I had trouble with my ankle all my life so I decided to get it fixed by fusing it and he straightened some of the crooked parts. My husband is unemployed so I have had lots of help. My doc said not PT till cast is gone. He thinks they push you too hard.

Can you bike with out the cast? I've got one at home but thought it would be too hard with the cast. Walking seems to give me enough exercise.

• Posted

Margie

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I'm really glad to hear your husband is around to help you!

I think your right the walking for a short time is enough right now. I was on my feet for a little bit and felt exhausted as well.

I wore the boot when I used the bike.

Marge

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.