How long until Amitriptyline sedates me?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, 

I was recently prescribed 10mg Amitriptyline to help with my Anxiety and it's symptoms. 

I suffer with numerous anxiety symptoms, the most distressing ones being Nausea and vomiting (which results in a lack of appetite.

I've tried numerous antidepressants over the past five months, the majority of them making my anxiety symptoms worse and causing more nausea.

I've taken Amitriptyline for two days, i'm currently tapering off Mirtazapine as well at the moment (as instructed by my GP).

So far I haven't noticed any real effects, I've heard that Amitriptyline is very sedating. But the first night I was wide awake, last night I managed to get some sleep. But I didn't feel any real sedation. 

My nausea is still present, with a lot more churning and discomfort.

My doctor informed me that if I still feel sick by Friday I should start taking two tablets (20mg in total).

Is it normal to feel like this when first taking Amitriptyline? I've heard it's supposed to be quite fast acting.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Robert,

I also am taking Amithropline for anxiety and mild depression. I was prescribe 10mg and it worked wonders the from the first night.

I see you're symptoms are a little sever, I would say try the 10mg first week and slowly increase it to 15mg the following week and 20mg. It's advised that this medicine is taken slowly as it is a little sedative.

Try this method and see how you feel, I would also recommend some sort of light exercise to get your mind off of things.

I hope you feel better soon as I know how anxiety can be so cruel sometimes. I have been there and I know...

Best of luck smile

• Posted

Hi Zara,

It's good to hear that the Amitriptyline worked so well for you. So far I haven't seen much of an effect.

My Doctor told me that if there aren't any signs of improvement by Friday I should start taking two 10mg tablets instead of one.

I've been trying to distract myself, not with exercise, but by drawing and working on sketches and playing old videogames. It sometimes helps. It's just the nausea that bothers me a lot.

Hopefully the sedation kicks in soon, I could really use it to help calm my mind and stomach down.

• Posted

Hi Robert,

You're doing the right thing by keeping your mind busy with drawing. It sure helps a lot.

I think you should see the difference soon, I also wanted to tell you to take it exactly half hour before bed. Try not to stay busy and focus on relaxing. May be drink a cup of Camamile tea and slowly try to sleep. I realized that if I take it half hour before bed and if I stay busy with something I lose my sleep and it becomes really difficult to fall a sleep, it almost has a timing of some kind. So as soon as you feel sleepy, then close your eye and don't think about anything. Lol 😂 believe me it helps. I hope the 10mg works for you, and if not then it would be best to follow your GP advise. I am only writing from experience and people react differently as well.

Hope this helps... And I hope you feel better very soon. ... Not to worry you will feel great very soon. God is kind.

• Posted

Hi Robert,

Sadly have a lot of experience with anxiety and anti depressants.  Hang in there and you will find what works  best for you but sadly it is a case of trial and error. Have you tried anything other than medication to alleviate your problems? Meditation, CBD oil etc?

These meds are prescribed by GP’s far too easily and they never look at alternative solutions. Can work well once you find the right one but should only be used for a few months at most.

Good luck!!

Ed 

• Posted

Hi Hopeandope,

So far I've tried five different antidepressants in the past five months. I couldn't cope on them long due to the side effects.

I've had CBT sessions, but eventually quit them due to the copious amount of paperwork given each session. I'm currently attending hypnotherapy sessions now.

I've heard a lot about cbd oil, but I've been hesitant to try it due to fears it would have a bad reaction with medication.

The only other things I've had some are a blood test and a CT scan on my stomach. I'm waiting for the results.

I'm trying to hang in there, but honestly I'm just so sick and fed up now. It's been five months since my anxiety relapse and I feel like I've gotten nowhere.

• Posted

Hi Robert,

Don’t give up.. you are not alone and there is an answer.  There are many things to try. Have yous tatted with amitriptalyne? If worked really well for be , too well!! Got hooked on the pills and ended up taking 250mg for nearly 20 years! Gave them up last year as they seriously mess with your body after a long period of time. But for the short term the tend to be the best out there for our condition. Maybe ask your doctor re CBD oil. Mine prescribed me some medicinal oil for America and never heard anyone having adverse reactions. I also did CBT and didn’t work for me either. Think the best thing is to work on your nervous system and also try and stretch, breathe and read. I got an app called Calm. It really helps and highly recommend it along with movement and CBD. Also acupuncture works well. If amitryptaline works then good but just make sure you don’t take it for too long.

Good luck and keep me posted.

Ed

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.