How long until antibiotics kick in for kidney infections?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was diagnosed with a UTI on Monday afternoon (2 days ago) and, because I had lower back pain, my GP was concerned that the infection was spreading to my kidneys. He prescribed me Cipro (250 mg, 2x a day) which I started Monday evening. (He wanted to give me an injection of antibiotics to get me started off strong, but they only had a kind containing an allergen on hand, so I ended up not getting that shot.)

The pills seem to be helping with the basic UTI - urination isn't painful anymore, at least - but my back pain is getting worse. It's like a constant throbbing on my right flank, and then randomly my lower back will spasm quite painfully for a minute before settling back into the throb.

I don't know if I should be concerned that it seems to be getting worse at this point, or if it's just too early in the medication cycle for the antibiotics to have kicked in... I'm wondering if I need to go back to the doctor first thing in the morning - this office doesn't let you call and speak to your doctor or a nurse; you have to go in for an appointment - or if I should give the antibiotics a bit more time.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I have had the same issue with back pain when I have a UTI. Not everytime, but occasionally.

It has gone away as I continued my dosage. However it never got worse once I started my meds.

I would just give your doctor a call and see what he suggests...

Best of luck!

• Posted

Hi Charlotte,

Please read the leaflet that came with your Cipro tablets. It's possible that your back pain is more to do with them than the uti, especially if the pain moves to other areas such as your ankles or other joints or in your calves and feet.

I really don't want to cause you alarm but please do keep alert for any increase in pain, or any other unusual symptoms.  The leaflet advice is to stop taking the Cipro and to consult your doctor but the problem is that doctors rarely understand the type of damage that Cipro can cause in SOME people.

Are you in the US?  The black box warnings are there for a reason and your doctor should have discussed the risks versus the benefits before he gave you these pills.  Please take care and be aware of how your body is feeling. Or ask to be changed to a safer antibiotic now - just in case.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.