How long until therapeutic effect?

Posted , 4 users are following.

How many weeks did it take you to get a big relief in anxiety? Im on my 19th day on 10mg and still have anxiety. I have generalized anxiety disorder.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi johannes, i'm on my 21st day after coming off bromazapam and starting escitalopram and the last two days have just started to feel a lot better, a lot of physical symptoms are easing off, not so many aches and pains, breathlessness a lot better and not so many negative thoughts, stay with it i'm sure you will feel better soon.

• Posted

Perhaps the Lexapro is not for you. I have tried many antidepressants, and luckily Lexapro, which was my first choice, and the medicine I am currently on, has been the most effective. However, I am not 100% sure that this is the best medication for anxiety. I could be wrong, I am not a doctor, just going by my personal experiences, but I feel like there are other medications which target anxiety more directly. I started out with 10 mg of Lexapro and within three days felt a big change in my overall well-being. I am currently on 5 mg and feeling well, but again, I did not have anxiety specifically. I hope this helps.

One last thing, I believe 10 mg is only the introductory dogs, I believe people with severe anxiety and depression are recommended 20 mg, perhaps maybe that is the problem. Or, maybe Lexapro by itself is not enough. I do take Welbutrin (forgive my spelling and grammar errors as I am using text to speech).

• Posted

I've personally heard that lexapro is one of the best medications for anxiety which is why i started it. Gonna give it 6 weeks atleast, thanks for your response.

• Posted

What medications are you referring to that target anxiety more directly except from benzos?

• Posted

Well, just from my personal experience, I found Fluxotine inhibited anxiety a bit. For me, Viibryd, Lexapro, and Celexa had more of an anti-anxiety effect. i also take Wellbutrin in conjunction. Currently I take 300mg of Weellbutrin and 5mg of Lexapro. I anticipate 5mg may not be enough for most people.

• Posted

johannes think months instead of weeks be very patient it takes time for your body to adjust to the ssris. give it at least 6 months before you decide to try something else. all ssris work about the same. everyone is different and side effects are different for different folks. ssris work really well for anxiety. you will gradually start feeling better and start up side effects will gradually disappear.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.